PDA

View Full Version : mini -vs- midi

Mike Jones NM
10-03-2006, 1:01 PM
Still looking at various smaller lathes and am getting a bit confused.
Just got a "Penn State Industries" catalog and in looking at the specs of the smaller machines I find that the Delta "midi" is pretty much identical in specs to the Jet "mini" as far as swing over bed, HP, distance between centers etc.
So, my ?? is, is there any industry standard in what a mini is versus a midi?
Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2006, 1:35 PM
Mike I was as confused as you when I first started looking at lathes. I found I don't worry about the midi/mini anymore. I look mainly at hp and swing. Most of the midi/mini's are a 1/2 hp with a 10" swing except for what Bruce and I call a true midi the Rikon which has a 12" swing.

Bill Boehme
10-03-2006, 2:15 PM
No, but there are some really small mini lathes that could only be used for things like pens and bottle stoppers -- so I suppose that may be the reason that Delta called their lathe a midi.

In general, industry standards apply to things such as wire and metal sizes, fasteners, materials, and interchangeability of parts and assemblies (ex: machine tapers).

Bill

Jim Becker
10-03-2006, 2:37 PM
"Marketing"........

Don Fuss
10-03-2006, 5:26 PM
Here's another one to add to your confusion. General has a "Maxi-Lathe" with a 10" swing.

Frank Fusco
10-03-2006, 6:48 PM
Here's another one to add to your confusion. General has a "Maxi-Lathe" with a 10" swing.

That refers to the price tag. :D

John Timberlake
10-03-2006, 8:58 PM
The real answer is timing. The Jet mini was on the market before the Delta. When Delta came out with theirs, the added the ability to extend the bed and called it a midi. Jet than added the ability to extend, but kept the name mini. Personnally, I like the Jet better. Find it to be smoother.

Corey Hallagan
10-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Most of those Midi's/Minis like the Delta, Jet and PSI lathes with the 1/2 motor have a frame that is almost identical to each other. If you are going to do pens, stoppers, small bowls, weed pots etc. any of these will work. I have made half a dozen boxes, nearly a hundred pens, some vases, goblets, lidded bowls and my PSI Turncrafter Pro hasn't skipped a beat since January. Any of them will work for you. I all you want is to do this type of work and can afford it then go for the Jet which is considered the top of the line of Midi/Minis. If you ever want to go to a bigger lathe, you will want to keep the Jet. Then again, that new General looks like one sweet new lathe with moveable headstock and VS and 12 inch swing!

Corey

Curt Fuller
10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Still a pretty good deal for a mini.......

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=092-2100

Woodcraft might still have their deal going too.