PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinions:

Barry Beech
10-03-2006, 1:01 PM
I have a new stanley 60 1/2 block plane that I don't care too much for, a Record 90 1/2 that I like pretty well, and a Record #4. I am thinking about buying a couple of new planes.

One: replace the stanley with a LN low angle block plane w/adjustable mouth.

Two: Get a new LV Medium shoulder plane.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather have something other than the shoulder plane?

I think I'm pretty sure that I want the LN just not sure about the shoulder plane.

Thanks guys!!

Barry

Jerry Palmer
10-03-2006, 4:20 PM
It'd depend mostly on what you want to do with the planes as to what to get.:)

Barry Beech
10-03-2006, 4:54 PM
Well, I will typically use machines for milling my wood. There are times that I have used the #4 to start the milling process but it was on a crotch walnut board that I was kinda afraid to run through the jointer.

I think I want a shoulder plane because I think I would use it on tenons and also on breadboard ends.

This is a process that I am still learning. Oh, I am just a hobbiest. I get to work in the shop when the wife and two kids will let me. :rolleyes:

Mike Henderson
10-03-2006, 5:17 PM
You can trim tenons with a sharp chisel. The low angle block plane will be used for many things around the shop. But consider the LN 102 block plane instead of the 60 1/2. It depends on what you're doing, but I find its small size very comfortable and easy to use.

Mike

Doug Littlejohn
10-05-2006, 5:40 PM
Get the LN 60 1/2 R. It's a full blown 60 1/2 only a rabbet version with the blade going to the edges. Then you add one more thing. It's not very well advertised but LN will add on nickers to it for $30 !!(one on each side). You can have them do it if you order from them or you can ship it to them to have it done.

Now you have a really superb multi-purpose tool. Rabbet, low angle, Block plane made from ductile steel, bronze and a really thick, hard blade.

and BTW - It works really sweet too!! I recently used it as both a block and a rabbet plane and for the tasks I had, combined with my lack of hand tool experience, it just did the job and as only us neanders can atest to, felt wonderful while doing it.

Sherwood

James Owen
10-29-2006, 12:17 AM
I have a new stanley 60 1/2 block plane that I don't care too much for, a Record 90 1/2 that I like pretty well, and a Record #4. I am thinking about buying a couple of new planes.

One: replace the stanley with a LN low angle block plane w/adjustable mouth.

Two: Get a new LV Medium shoulder plane.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather have something other than the shoulder plane?

I think I'm pretty sure that I want the LN just not sure about the shoulder plane.

Thanks guys!!

Barry

Barry,

You can't go wrong replacing the Stanley #60-1/2 with the LN version -- superb plane.

BUT, you can also spend a couple of hours fettling that Stanley and have a fairly decent plane (it won't quite measure up to an LN or an old Stanley, but it will be very usable....). The two main things that will improve the new-manufactured Stanley #60-1/2 are a sharp (or if it won't hold an edge, LN or Hock replacement) iron and flattening the sole and the adjustable shoe. Flattening shouldn't take more than an hour of two; you'll be amazed at the difference that will make.

Shoulder plane is useful, but more of a specialized tool. If you're only going to buy one plane at the moment, the #60-1/2 is more versatile.

Regardless of your decision, good luck!

James