PDA

View Full Version : CA glue

Julie Wright
10-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Isn't all CA glue the same? I need to get some more to do some pens and now I see at least 3 different kinds...
What gives. What should I buy? thick, thin, fast dry, slow dry ????? :confused:

Doug Littlejohn
10-16-2003, 3:11 PM
The thickness of the glue controls how well it will wick into the material that is being glued. THick, not much, thin, alot more.

I'll bet Ken will chime in here. He makes alot of pens and would know the best to use and why.

Ken, we defer to you ;)

Ken Salisbury
10-17-2003, 12:46 PM
The thickness of the glue controls how well it will wick into the material that is being glued. THick, not much, thin, alot more.

Correct !!

I'll bet Ken will chime in here. He makes alot of pens and would know the best to use and why.

Ken, we defer to you ;)
I only use CA glue on Acrylic blanks and on Corian ones. I use polyurethane glue on all my wood blanks. I found it much better for numerous reasons.

Julie Wright
10-17-2003, 10:12 PM
So, then would you use polyurathane on ornaments and segmented bowls?

Correct !!
I only use CA glue on Acrylic blanks and on Corian ones. I use polyurethane glue on all my wood blanks. I found it much better for numerous reasons.

Ken Salisbury
10-18-2003, 7:46 AM
So, then would you use polyurathane on ornaments and segmented bowls?

On segmented bowls I use Titebond II glue. See this link on how to make one (an article I wrote in the SMC Articles Section):
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/4/ .

If the ornaments you are referring to require a brass tube inside and are wood then I would use polyurethane glue. If made from an acrylic material or Corian then I would use CA glue.

On a side note please read the SMC Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php)which requires members to provide a real first and last name. If you will PM me or e-mail me that information I will have your registration information update to reflect that. Thanks in advance.