PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the G0459 12" Baby Drum Sander

Paul Zonneveld
10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Anyone own or know of this little drum sander? I want to get into making some veneers of my own and believe that I need something like this. I dont have the money for one of the big boys yet and since by band saw is only a 14 inch I wont be resawing anything wider than this sander can provide. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Paul

Randy Cox
10-03-2006, 1:01 PM
Paul,

I have had this drum sander for only about a month and as I have been redoing my shop, I haven't been able to really put it to use. That said, I have played with it some and it sounds like you want it for the same reasons as I did. I am in the process of trying to make "Shaker Boxes" and this little sander seemed like just the thing. The specs say it's minimum thickness is 1/8th inch but with careful adjustments, I have taken down 3" wide maple to .060 thickness with no problem. It seems to be a very capable machine if it is used as it is intended...smaller items with minimal removal at each pass. I would buy it again. Hope this helps. YMMV

Randy

tod evans
10-03-2006, 1:12 PM
paul, here`s (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39591)a prior discussion about this unit.....02 tod

Paul Zonneveld
10-03-2006, 2:18 PM
I read through that thread and it answered a lot of questions. I am asking about this sander for one purpose. I want to get into veneering more (save money) and need a way to do the general clean up of the resawed veneer pieces once they come off the band saw. Anyone have additional input on how they clean up the saw blade marks once a veneer is cut from the band saw?

Paul

tod evans
10-03-2006, 2:34 PM
paul, a sander is your best bet for cleaning up the saw marks. only you can decide which one will do the job for you? there is the used market also...or you could go the handtool route if you`re only doing small amounts...02 tod

Keith Outten
10-03-2006, 3:11 PM
Paul,

I'm not familier with the Grizzly model you specified but I own the Performax 10/20 and I can vouch for it as a capable machine. It is designed to sand down to 1/32" and will sand very short pieces as well. Many of our Members here own this sander and I haven't heard one complaint yet so it is worth a look.