PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy wood?

Michael Kenning
10-03-2006, 8:24 AM
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place (I searched and searched and searched for a better forum/thread and thought this would work best).

I've recently moved to Springfield, MO and was wondering where I could find the best place for rough cut hardwood. I've called about twelve mills in Southwest Missouri and they either don't sell to the public or don't sell rough cut lumber (only milled). When I lived in Salt Lake City, I could go to MacBeath Hardwoods and pick out 100s of bf of most species. The only thing I haven't done is check with local woodworkers, but because I am new to the area, I don't have a clue where to start.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Jay Knoll
10-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Michael

Sorry, no "local knowledge" but have you tried this website?

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Good luck

Jay

Michael Kenning
10-03-2006, 10:23 AM
The closest place to me according to Woodfinder is in Little Rock (a three hour drive) so I'm hoping that there is somewhere closer that isn't listed. Thanks for the reference, Jay!

tod evans
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
michael, there`s o-p hardwoods on glenstone-n-chestnut, vermillion off senic-n-chestnut, herrman lumber off glenstone-n-st. louis for retail that`s `bout it as far as i know......02 tod

Frank Fusco
10-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place (I searched and searched and searched for a better forum/thread and thought this would work best).

I've recently moved to Springfield, MO and was wondering where I could find the best place for rough cut hardwood. I've called about twelve mills in Southwest Missouri and they either don't sell to the public or don't sell rough cut lumber (only milled). When I lived in Salt Lake City, I could go to MacBeath Hardwoods and pick out 100s of bf of most species. The only thing I haven't done is check with local woodworkers, but because I am new to the area, I don't have a clue where to start.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

There is a wood/woodworking shop in Springfield. Woodenyaknowit, I am afflicted with CRS this morning, can't remember the name. I have bought wood there. They have a moderately good selection of exotics. Grizzly occasionally has wood on hand. But even if Griz doesn't have wood, their sales people will advise you, they are great there. Springfield does have a couple good woodworking/turning clubs. You might want to join up. E-mail me, and when the caffine properly kicks in I might be able to help. If you get to St. Louis (easier on I44 for you than for me from here), visit the Wood and Shop http://www.woodnshop.com/ Right now, he is changing locations. I'd call first before making the drive. He has oodles of wood.

Michael Kenning
10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
michael, there`s o-p hardwoods on glenstone-n-chestnut, vermillion off senic-n-chestnut, herrman lumber off glenstone-n-st. louis for retail that`s `bout it as far as i know......02 tod

O-P has mostly pre-milled lumber, which isn't bad, but it is in 8 foot lengths or smaller, is more expensive and only has a limited supply on hand. I'll try to get to Vermillion and Herrman and see what they have.

Thanks for the tips, Tod!

Michael Kenning
10-03-2006, 11:35 AM
There is a wood/woodworking shop in Springfield. Woodenyaknowit, I am afflicted with CRS this morning, can't remember the name. I have bought wood there. They have a moderately good selection of exotics. Grizzly occasionally has wood on hand. But even if Griz doesn't have wood, their sales people will advise you, they are great there. Springfield does have a couple good woodworking/turning clubs. You might want to join up. E-mail me, and when the caffine properly kicks in I might be able to help. If you get to St. Louis (easier on I44 for you than for me from here), visit the Wood and Shop http://www.woodnshop.com/ Right now, he is changing locations. I'd call first before making the drive. He has oodles of wood.
Funny that I just bought a dust collector at the grizz and didn't even think about asking for where to get wood. :p I'll pop by there after work and see what they say (I need some grounding wire anyway).

Thansk for the tip on woodnshop. I go to St. Louis every month or so and will have to bring the truck next time. ;)

--M

Richard Niemiec
10-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I can't help you in Missouri, but in central NJ hardwood suppliers generally have limited selection and high prices, so I found a friendly sawmill in central PA, rented a box van for a 3.5 hour drive, and bought about 2000 board feet of assorted hardwoods and hauled them home. Built a lumber rack and I was fixed for most projects for a while. I appreciate not everyone can make such an investment, but this wood ain't getting any cheaper and laying in a stock of wood made sense to me. As I recall I paid about $3.60 bd ft for cherry, $2.15 for hard maple and $1.25 for poplar, can't remember what I paid for the walnut and white oak - these prices are much lower than what I could have paid in NJ, even considering the truck rental.

RN

Frank Fusco
10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Had a brief reprieve from the CRS syndrome. :o
Remember the name of the hardwood supply store in Springfield, MO
It is Opie Hardwoods. Somewhere on the north end of the city. They are in phone book.

SF Basilix
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Richard,

I am also in Central NJ - and your idea of renting a box-van to central PA sounds great. What was the friendly sawmill you went to in Central PA? Could you also give the location?

Thanks!

Calvin Hobbs
10-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I moved to Springfield last year and had some trouble myself.

I needed some wide boards in cherry and ordered from Pennsylvania. I needed mahogany and bought when I was in St. Louis.

That said, I'm sure some local sawmills are around that can saw up domestics. I have heard of Vermillion but have not looked them up as I have enough wood (for now) on hand for my current projects. Keep trying.

What kinds of woodworking do you do? It might be a chance for those "creeker visits" I read about.

Good luck with the wood search, Cal

Tim Johnson
10-08-2006, 10:00 PM
In the past I have found the yellow pages on-line can be useful. Here is a sample, that includes several pages of sawmills in MO.
http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Sawmills/-State_MO.html

or just Springfield, listed in order from closest to further away
http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Sawmills/Springfield_MO.html

Let us know what you find out, I am close to Springfield, but find my best wood deals just west in OK.

Brad Wright
10-09-2006, 9:42 AM
Hi all,

Been browsing for awhile, but this is my first post. My Dad lives in Nixa, and he gets his wood from a local sawmill. Don't know the name or location, but I'll try to find out.

My Dad buys it green and has built his own kiln. Don't know if his supplier has a kiln (probably does.) Are you looking for kiln-dried, or do you have a way to dry your own?

I'll try to find out details in the next few days.

Brad

Brad Wright
10-11-2006, 4:00 PM
Just spoke to my Dad minutes ago. I guess his supplier doesn't have a kiln and doesn't sell in small quantities. So, unless you have access to a kiln, and want at least 300 bd. ft., then I can't be of much use.

Sorry,

Brad

George Leicht
10-11-2006, 4:12 PM
If you get to St. Louis regularly, try Lumber Logs LLC. You can find their contact info from woodfinder.com. Tom has a nice selection and I think his prices are good. Here in south central MO, Pennock Lumber outside of Steelville, MO has both rough and milled lumber in domestic hardwoods. Larry and his wife are some of the nicest people you will ever do business with.
George

Gary Herrmann
10-11-2006, 9:37 PM
2nd vote for Lumber Logs. How about qsawn white oak for 1.75 per bd ft (thats what I picked up my last trip)? I need to head over there again soon. Cherry, walnut, qsawn sycamore, turning blanks.

Not affiliated, just like their selection and prices.

Michael Kenning
02-22-2007, 2:18 PM
Sorry for the late reply to everyone, but I completely forgot about this site until a friend of mine reminded me about it. Thanks for all the input!

Cal, I do mostly furniture (working on a small chest of drawers right now) but I'm about to do some built in bookcases and a built in entertainment center.

Brad, I don't have a kiln (I wish!) so green wood would be wasted on me. Thanks, any way!

George/Gary, That looks like a great idea. I'll check them out next time I'm in St. Louis. Also, Steelville is halfway, so if I can get ahold of Pennock Lumberk, I'll check out their selection.

Thanks again, all!

Mike Parzych
02-22-2007, 2:30 PM
I've seen the "woodfinder" link recommended many times, but I've never been impressed with their sourcing. Isn't that a "subscriber" advertising link? - wood retailers have to pay to get on it? I'd put in common items and sources nearby that I know of don't show up.