PDA

View Full Version : Wood Flooring on Concrete Slab?

Russ Filtz
10-03-2006, 8:01 AM
Been thinking of laying some wood floors (actually bamboo) on top of slab on grade construction. Any tricks to this? Use plastic sheeting and float it, or mastic and glue it down? Don't think I want a subfloor of plywood or anything as I'm in Florida with termites! I think I've seen pictures of plywood eaten in between the glue lines!

Joe Pelonio
10-03-2006, 8:17 AM
You don't need a subfloor, but check with the bamboo manufacturer. Some recommend gluing direct to the concrete only, no floating. Others suggest doing it either way. It's a matter of how it was manufactured.
The two-ply type (bottom half cross grain) is more flexible and meant for gluing directly to concrete which may have an imperfect surface.

Art Mulder
10-03-2006, 9:44 AM
I'm in Florida with termites!

Russ, if you really are in Florida then you need to edit your profile, as it tells us you are in Chicago... :cool:

Steve Hayes
10-03-2006, 9:45 AM
I was always told not to lay a solid hardwood floor on top of concrete. Only use laminate on concrete.

Rick Gibson
10-03-2006, 4:25 PM
If you are going to lay it directly on the concrete go to one of the places where you can get the laminate flooring. There is an underlay for it on concrete. The laminate flooring manufactures will honour their warranty if you use it.. I just did the rec room with laminate after the sump pump failed and the underlay was $65 a roll (200 sq. ft.) vs $6 a roll for the stuff I would use upstairs.

Also if the bamboo flooring rows do not lock together get a good quality waterproof glue or one recommende by the manufacturer and glue it. (You will wash the floor occasionly) (Had a friend who did not glue tongue and groove laminate and about 6 months later gaps opened up as the flooring shrunk in the winter.)

Wood flooring on concrete works fine as long as you have a good moisture barrier between the concrete and the wood.

Norman Hitt
10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
I was always told not to lay a solid hardwood floor on top of concrete. Only use laminate on concrete.

There is ONE Exception to this rule that I know of. It is "Mesquite" flooring, which, due to it's stability, can be glued directly to concrete.

Russ Filtz
10-04-2006, 7:48 AM
Yes, I moved to Florida for a job last year! Still miss Chicago though, even with the winters! I LIKE SNOW! At least to look at and watch falling. Too hot and humid down here. Nice place to visit, but...:cool: