PDA

View Full Version : Where to report fraudulent email?

Charles McKinley
10-16-2003, 8:55 AM
I recieved an email that really erks me. It says that my credit card has been billed $XXXX then asks for my account number and experation date.

Who do I forward this to for legal action to be investigated. I feel sorry for people that send this info in and want the sender to be caught.

Thanks

Jim Becker
10-16-2003, 9:03 AM
I recieved an email that really erks me. It says that my credit card has been billed $XXXX then asks for my account number and experation date.

Who do I forward this to for legal action to be investigated. I feel sorry for people that send this info in and want the sender to be caught.

Thanks

This is a current scam going on...there was an article on MSNBC.com recently. Your account was not billed...but will be if you provide the information! If you must forward it, the FBI would be the place, I believe.

David LaRue
10-16-2003, 11:35 AM

Thanks

Send (forward) it to this address UCE@FTC.GOV

Make sure you forward it not cut and paste. They need the information on where it come from to assit them in tracking where it came from.

Also here is link to the FTC info:

FTC Fraud and Spam info page (https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01)

Good luck.

Hal Flynt
10-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Here's the web site:

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

David LaRue
10-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Charles,

I just realized something! None of these websites help us the consumers from getting bilked by the scams. The government seems to be one-way here. Where is the list of scams we should be aware of? (Somebody know?)

Maybe we should submit a grant request to create a system to report these things?) :D

Dave

Don Farr
10-16-2003, 12:05 PM
I listen to Clark Howard in the afternoons and he keeps me up to date on most of them. The latest is a new offshore area code of 876. It's a hundred dollars a minute if they get you to call it.
Here's a link to his site.
http://clarkhoward.com/

Jim Becker
10-16-2003, 2:33 PM
I listen to Clark Howard in the afternoons and he keeps me up to date on most of them. The latest is a new offshore area code of 876. It's a hundred dollars a minute if they get you to call it.
Here's a link to his site.
http://clarkhoward.com/

That's not new, Don...the off-shore phone thing has been around for years! But I suspect it's being exploited even more now, particularly in combination with email SPAM. You know, call this number for more information, etc.

Don Farr
10-16-2003, 3:15 PM
That's not new, Don...the off-shore phone thing has been around for years! But I suspect it's being exploited even more now, particularly in combination with email SPAM. You know, call this number for more information, etc.

Hey jim, I guess what makes this unique is the 876 number falls in there with alot of our real toll free numbers. 800, 877, 888 etc. You no idea that you are calling outside the US until you get the bill. Just another way to rip off poor folks that don't know any better.

Mike Evertsen
10-16-2003, 9:49 PM
I received an e-mail they would help me built my on-line buisness cost 100.00 the fine print went like this
send card number and exper. date your card will be billed 300.00 dollars a month after the inital 100.00 setup fee,,,,

my delete key gets a good workout,,,,,,

Charles McKinley
10-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Thank you for information. I sent the complaints to the links you supplied.

Dave, misappropriating grant money is a good way to have the IRS come and give you a through rectal exam.

Have a good one,

David LaRue
10-19-2003, 1:10 PM
Thank you for information. I sent the complaints to the links you supplied.

Dave, misappropriating grant money is a good way to have the IRS come and give you a through rectal exam.

Have a good one,

Charles, my tonque was firmly planted in my cheek! Geeesh.

Charles McKinley
10-19-2003, 4:58 PM
Too many hours in ethics classes in grad school. You would be amazed at what people do with grant money. Look at the United Way. They are now coming out of a second major scandal.

Howard Norman
10-19-2003, 8:05 PM
Too many hours in ethics classes in grad school. You would be amazed at what people do with grant money. Look at the United Way. They are now coming out of a second major scandal.

I remember the United Way scandal of about ten years ago. What is the current scandal?

Howard

Charles McKinley
10-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Hi Howard,

I was thinking that this was more recent than 2001, but time seems to go quicker now. They were allowing there accounts to be used to store unspent money that would have had to be returned to the foundation.

here is a link
http://www.edaction.org/upda0136.htm

The scandal 10 years ago really rocked the non profits and had a major impact on giving to all non profits.