PDA

View Full Version : Most Corroded Bosch Router?

David LaRue
10-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Do I win a prize?

I had the router "replaced" under warranty for corrosion. I believe they replaced the body with a "less" corrosive material. Well admittedly, I have not had much time to use the my shop and router this summer, to say I was a bit amazed at the corrosion is a understatement! The router is stored removed from the base (one they fused together) inside my Nawm Router Table. All my other tools are OK. Any ideas on my approach with Bosch, or is there a way anyone knows to prevent the corrosion?

Don Baer
10-02-2006, 10:44 PM
YUP, Lee you win, that what you get for living so close to the ocean..:rolleyes:

I have no idea unless you can explain to them that you've been overcome by spin crack..:D and haven't had time to clean it since the last time you took it body surfing at the wedge.

Norman Hitt
10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
I haven't used this on Bosch Routers, but on other aluminum & "funny" metal, so you might clean it good, and then warm it up with a heat gun, (or momma's hair dryer) and then spray it with WD-40 while it is still HOT and then store it without wiping it off. As I mentioned, this has worked on other things before. Anyhow, it's a cheap method to try.

Nick Roper
10-03-2006, 2:25 AM
This is a case for Solid Film Lubricant. It is sold under a few different brand names now, but was originally designed for the US Military as a cold application to repair damaged "Parkerization" and other heat treatments on both steel and exotic metals. It sprays or brushes on like paint and newer formulations can withstand as much as 100,000 LBS per square inch making it suitable for use as a dry lub for heavy gears etc. I've used it on many weapons systems in the worst jungle enviorments in the world. It is amazing stuff.
You've probably seen it before on newer tablesaws. If you look in your miter slot closely the T track is coated with it. It runs about 10 to 12 dollars per can, but a little goes a very long way.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-03-2006, 7:59 AM
How the heck does something like this get manufactured these days???
-Jeff

Kent Cartwright
10-03-2006, 8:10 AM
I would contact Bosch again, and explain they have already replaced it once. I have the same router, with the same problem, and they were excellent in how they handled the situation. I worked with their office in Detroit, for what its worth. Good luck.

Kent

Ken Massingale
10-03-2006, 8:12 AM
Well, mine wasn't 'quite' that bad, but close.
It cleaned up good with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish (Walmart) and has stayed clean for several months now.
Bosch wanted to replace the housing but at the time I couldn't do without the router for ~2 weeks, and since it's staying clean with Mothers, I probably won't be sending it in.
ken

Mark Singer
10-03-2006, 8:47 AM
Bosch replaced both of my cases and that is still one of the best routers I have ever used!

Mike Goetzke
10-03-2006, 9:32 AM
They were supposed to replace the magnesium housings with aluminum - looks like you got a mag back. I live in the same area as you and had a mag 1617 for 3-years. My router body developed oxidation (easily removed by Mothers polish) but never the white corrosion many have seen.

Steve Clardy
10-03-2006, 9:49 AM
I know Bosch has good products, and their routers are probably top of the line.
But I've never bought one due to hearing about the corrision problem.

JayStPeter
10-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Mine looked pretty similar before I had the case replaced. I did it about 3 months ago on a 4-5 year old router. It was free aside from the initial shipping to them ... definitely worth doing.

Jay

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-03-2006, 12:35 PM
This is a case for Solid Film Lubricant. It is sold under a few different brand names now, but was originally designed for the US Military as a cold application to repair damaged "Parkerization" and other heat treatments on both steel and exotic metals.

You mean like these guys??
>>>http://www.sandstromproducts.com/solidfilm.htm<<<

Rob Nolan
10-03-2006, 2:17 PM
Are those barnacles I see?

David LaRue
10-03-2006, 5:29 PM
Are those barnacles I see?
Not quite, but close! ;) It sort of reminds me of the food I used have in the fridge when I was single. Some it it had blue fuzzy beards on the food!

Yes, this is a great router, and I really like MAG. I have a MAG LawnBoy mower Deck and it is great. I wasn't sure if they are replacing with MAG still, or AL. Both my bases are MAG. The one previous, I cleaned it and put really did not seal it with anything. They replaced it with no problems, and I assume they will do the same again. I met some of their engineers at a woodworking show several years ago. They seem like a nice bunch too. So, no complaints. :)

Nick Roper
10-03-2006, 8:08 PM
You mean like these guys??
>>>http://www.sandstromproducts.com/solidfilm.htm<<<
Yes, some of these are very similar I am sure. The world of chemical engineering has seen explosive growth that dwarfs all other areas of technology, but get less press. The stuff we used was developed by DOW, but companies like that make their big money, not in the manufacturing of the products, but the development and licensing of the technology to make it.