PDA

View Full Version : Which size nailer to buy

Dan Jurta
10-02-2006, 10:28 PM
After being a long-time lurker, here's my first post!

I'm in the market for a brad/finish nailer but don't have a lot of experience with pneumatic tools. What size gun is appropriate for installing baseboard, chair rail and crown molding?

Charlie Plesums
10-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Those all require finishing nails, which are generally 15 or 16 gauge. I chose 15 gauge since I also have an 18 gauge brad nailer. Most of the 15 gauge nailers have an angled feed, which are harder to load but allows you to get into tighter spaces, while most of the 16 gauge nailers feed straight.

and welcome to the creek

Ben Grunow
10-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I use a Senco SFN 41XP (newer SFN 40 model) for most trim work because the 15 ga nails are strong and the gun will shoot up to 2 1/2" nails. These are too long for most apps (shooting thin materials with long nails can lead to holes inpipes and wires and high blood pressure) but when you need them... Some people use 18 ga nails for base boards but they really wont hold a warped piece of poplar base if thats what you plan to use. Plus every nail hole needs filler on a paint grade job so whats the difference if the hole is a little bigger. 18 ga is good for stain grade- just make sure you hit the studs.

oh by the way... Welcome to the Creek. Im sure youll love it.

Vaughn McMillan
10-03-2006, 3:31 AM
No help on the nailers, but I wanted to welcome you to the Creek. I think you're the second person from Japan to sign up. (You've probably already seen Stu hanging around. If not, you will. :) )

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-03-2006, 5:25 AM
Hi Dan, welcome to the Creek! :D

I have a Accuset A200BN, which is an 18Ga nailer, and I love it.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000225KB.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056652793_.gif

This is the lower priced Senco tool line. I really like the way this gun works, I find it quieter, and easy to use, the "Out of Nail" indicator is hard to miss, the gun has NEVER once jammed, and I think I might have had a double shot once or twice, honestly I cannot remember. The depth adjustment is easy to use and right there below the trigger and the exhaust port is at the back of the handle, which acts like a muffler, so the air does not come out in a hard shot, sending dust everywhere.

Yes, I like this tool VERY much, and would buy another in a heart beat.

I would also like to buy the smaller gauge pin nailer, but until then, this nailer gets the nod.

Cheers!
:D

Tyler Howell
10-03-2006, 5:56 AM
Welcome Dan,

15G finishing nailer has been my tool of choice for many years. Now that I have expanded the type of work I do I've also expanded the tools.
For base board as Charlie has said 15G, I have a 18g brad nailer and a 23g pin for corner bead and 1/4 rounds.
I Am really impressed with Senco Tools:cool: .

tod evans
10-03-2006, 7:16 AM
welcome dan! another vote for the 15ga senco.....tod

Bob Childress
10-03-2006, 7:45 AM
Welcome to the Creek Dan!! You'll enjoy it.

What Charlie et al. said. 15 or 16 ga. finish nails for chair rail and crown. I have two 16 ga., one angled and one straight (to be clear, the angled one is a DeWalt cordless battery-operated one, the straight a PC air nailer). The thing is, air nailers are like potato chips . . . "bet you can't buy just one!" :D :D

Rob Russell
10-03-2006, 8:43 AM
I have Porter Cable nailers - the DA250 15ga angled finish and BN200 18 ga brad nailer. In terms of the finish nailer (DA250), there are definitely times when you want all 2 1/2" that it can shoot. An example would be when installing wide crown moulding and you're trying to get through the moulding, through sheetrock and well into the plate or stud behind the crown, and you're shooting at an angle.

FYI, I find no hassles at with loading an angled nailer. I've had no problems with either gun. Were I to buy again, I'd probably buy Senco guns if only because they don't need lubrication. Other than that, I've been happy with the PC nailers and can get nails pretty much anywhere.

Jim Becker
10-03-2006, 9:46 AM
Stu, Senco stopped making the Accuset guns a few years ago...but I agree, I really like them. (I have 4...)
------

To the OP, a 15 gage angle finish nailer or a 16 gage brad gun (the latter is also often called a finish nailer) are the right tools for the job. If you can only buy one gun, get the 16 gage unit as it is a good, overall tool to have for most work. It can substitute for an 18 gage brad nailer much of the time outside of very small stock and also shoot longer nails for home improvement with less problems than a smaller gun. Do note that the brad format fasteners are "flat" and WILL follow grain in some cases...keep your hands away from the immediate area you are shooting into.

Bob Childress
10-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Do note that the brad format fasteners are "flat" and WILL follow grain in some cases...keep your hands away from the immediate area you are shooting into.

Ain't that the truth?! :eek: DAMHIKT. :D

Dan Jurta
10-03-2006, 4:33 PM
I've got my eye on one of the pancake kits from PC or Bostitch. I'll start there and maybe then work towards a 15 gauge gun too.

Vaughn, you reminded me to update my profile. Finished my overseas tour and am now in Brunswick, ME. I've traded emails with Stu, but regretfully never made it up to survey the dungeon--my loss!

Thanks again for the great guidance and the safety tip!

jud dinsmore
10-03-2006, 6:44 PM
another vote for the senco 15ga. i recently bought the hitachi 15ga and really like my senco sfn40 (four years old better). the senco isn't as loud, sinks the nails more consistantly, and has much better feel (i can feel when i'm hitting studs).

as for compressors, there was a recent thread about them. having had a pc pancake i would recommend something else. it is light, but that sucker is one loud beast. i've been using a makita mac900 (i think that's right) for about a year and would highly recommend it. it is quiet, recycles fast, and takes up little room in the back of my truck. it is heavier than the pc but your ears will thank you. good luck.