PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Jorgy clamps down?

Tony Sade
10-16-2003, 8:26 AM
I got a bunch of the Jorgies and Besseys in the recent sales and am pretty well stocked in 24, 36 & 48" sizes. I would like a few more 12" and think I"ll order some 24" from Woodcraft-assuming there are any left-and cut them down to size. Can I do that with a hack saw or do I need something else? What about drilling a hole for the little stand thingie? TIA, Tony

Jason Roehl
10-16-2003, 8:42 AM
I'm thinking the bar is probably a hardened steel of sorts, and will probably make quick work of your hacksaw blade.

Jim Becker
10-16-2003, 9:09 AM
Another option: You could by the 12" or 18" UniClamps at a show for not much difference in price and avoid the angst of cutting down the larger, heavier clamps. These also have the parallel jaws, but are lighter duty and just perfect in that size. IMHO, of course.

Lynn Kasdorf
10-16-2003, 10:02 AM
I've not seen the construction of the Jorgies, but probably an abrasive chop saw would make quick work of them. A metal fab shop should be able to do that for you cheaply. Personally, I use my abrasive saw all the time.

Or, if you have a die grinder, or maybe an attachment to a drill that would hold an abrasive disk, you could cut them with that.

I think abrasive cutting is the answer here, then clean up the cut with a bench grinder and file.

Regarding drilling a hole in the stuff, a bad dog drill bit (carbide) should do it.

Seems a shame tho...