PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Curly Maple Chest on Frame

Rob Millard
10-02-2006, 9:53 PM
This is a miniature chest on frame based on an original from Philadelphia c.1760. See plate 62 in Hornor’s Blue Book of Philadelphia Furniture for a photo of the original. I made my chest just a little taller to improve the proportions. The chest is made of curly maple and poplar. It is finished with Trans Tint Dark Vintage Maple dye, two coats of linseed oil with Japan Drier added and applied hot. After the oil had cured, a thick coat of dark brown gel stain was applied and wiped off, leaving a little residue in the crevices, giving depth to the finish and mimicing age. I followed this with one coat of de-waxed dark shellac, and three coats of very thin super blond shellac. The hardware came from Londonderry Brasses. The piece measures 30 ¼” high, 19 ¼” wide and 11 ¼” deep. I included one photo with a LN No. 4 ½ smooth plane sitting on the top, to show the scale.
Rob Millard

Jim Becker
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Wow! Outstanding.

What I find really striking is that the figure in the maple isn't out of scale with the piece. Good work choosing the stock, Rob!!!

Dave Richards
10-02-2006, 10:19 PM
I fold.:(

Wow! That's great. I love the color and those needle pins. Yummy. Thanks for showing us that piece.

Roy Wall
10-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Beautiful Rob.......you are amazing!!!

On the drawer fronts:

1 are they veneered (thick)?

2 the top and sides of the fronts act as stops?.........are the bottoms flush with the opening?/

Bruce Page
10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Rob, as with all of your work, I'm in awe! :eek:

Corey Hallagan
10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
That is just gorgeous Rob, NICE!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Beautiful, Rob.

Bruce

Rick de Roque
10-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Great job. Love the finish.

Rick

Vaughn McMillan
10-03-2006, 2:50 AM
You never fail to amaze me, Rob. Great piece, as always. Your work is stunning in its detail and execution.

Alan Turner
10-03-2006, 5:53 AM
Teriffic work, as always. I like the trifid feet, which I have not yet attempted. The legs are an interesting shape around the knee area. Were they also copied from the photos of the original? How did you attach the rear portion of the top molding? DT ways?

Thanks for sharing your work. Was this a commission for a jewlery chest? Are the drawers fitted for same?

Kent Cartwright
10-03-2006, 8:11 AM
All I can say is "WoW!" Very nice Rob :-)

Kent

Rob Russell
10-03-2006, 8:28 AM
Stunning work, Rob. I'm curious, about how many hours do you have in the piece?

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-03-2006, 8:37 AM
wow!

Kc

lou sansone
10-03-2006, 1:19 PM
hi rob

your killing me! great job... it really looks like fun building those smalls... I have gotten stuck on some other stuff, like the continual restoration of my c1730 house. But I really like the piece. I have one little piece in the work now that I will show in a couple of weeks. anyway... it is always nice to see what you have been up to
best wishes
lou

tod evans
10-03-2006, 1:45 PM
rob, this is plain cool! i like it alot.....small is so much harder than full scale, very impressive show of your abilities......tod

Jason Tuinstra
10-03-2006, 2:13 PM
Rob, stellar job on this one. The figure of the wood only enhances the overall look and craftsmanship of the piece. I love the look of the dovetails.

Calvin Hobbs
10-03-2006, 4:56 PM
Rob,

Nicely done. Your work has a great quality that is better than just workmanship. The finishing and the "correct" details that accompany your pieces add so much to your final product. Did you simply scale down all your measurements, including molding sizes and profiles, or draw from your knowledge/experience?

As I have been growing a little in period furnituremaking I am getting more concerned with things looking "right". I am working on a carved Phila. dressing table now which as you know has many details that are difficult to capture.

Are you moving into more chippendale furniture or are you keeping the federal inlaid pieces as your bread and butter?

Thanks for sharing your project, Cal

Zahid Naqvi
10-03-2006, 6:08 PM
Inspiring, as always.

Rob Millard
10-03-2006, 6:40 PM
Beautiful Rob.......you are amazing!!!

On the drawer fronts:

1 are they veneered (thick)?

2 the top and sides of the fronts act as stops?.........are the bottoms flush with the opening?/

Roy

The drawer fronts are solid maple about 5/8" thick.

There is a lip on the two ends and the top, which act as the stop.
Thanks for taking the time to comment on the piece.

Rob Millard

Rob Millard
10-03-2006, 6:58 PM
I should have included in the description that the chest on frame was based on an original piece made for a child, so I did not reduce a full size piece. The description in the Blue Book of Philadelphia furniture for this piece did not give the size, so I used several other pieces of reduced scale period furniture that did include the dimensions, to arrive at the size for this piece. I made a minor change to the height of the chest part to give it a little more verticality. I also bought hardware that while not true miniatures, fit the drawer better than those on the original ( the originals actually projected past the molding on the lower edge of the top drawer) True miniature hardware might have been more appealing visually, but most period pieces use hardware that is out of proportion. It is impossible to tell from the photo of the original but I think there were functioning locks, so I included these on mine also. I debated whether to change the legs, as they have a somewhat exaggerated curve, but in the end I went with the shape of the originals ( and I’m glad I did).

This was an amazingly easy piece to build and I have less than 50 hours in it. I made it for a local woodworking show. When the show is over in mid November I’ll have to try and find a buyer for it. I’m also making a Seymour one drawer tambour desk and a Newbury Port shelf clock for the show.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on the piece.
Rob Millard

Martin Shupe
10-03-2006, 8:46 PM
Stunning, simply stunning. Thanks for posting the pics, and especially the finishing information.

Steve Roxberg
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
very beautiful work, I don't know what else to say!!

Just Wow!

Mike Cutler
10-04-2006, 12:22 AM
That's amazing work Rob. Well done, and thanks for posting.

Corvin Alstot
10-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Rob/
As always its a treat to see what you been working on.
You have a real talent for making the wood come alive in each piece you create.

Best Regards, Corvin

Jim Tobias
10-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Stunning! Very graceful and as others said, the wood and the piece seem to go perfectly together!