PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft branded K-Body clamps

John Gregory
10-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I see where Woodcraft sells a Bessy K-Body clamp with the Woodcraft name on them. Green instead of orange. Just an FYI. I guess they are made to the same quality and standards. Don't know for sure. Click here (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5903&New=True)to see them

D.McDonnel "Mac"
10-02-2006, 1:40 PM
I saw those in a flyer from woodcraft. They show both in the flyer and the first thing I thought of was that a few of each would make nice Christmas decorations!!

Mac

John Gregory
10-02-2006, 1:49 PM
I saw those in a flyer from woodcraft. They show both in the flyer and the first thing I thought of was that a few of each would make nice Christmas decorations!!

Mac

You are right, nice holiday shop decorations. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-02-2006, 2:26 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but are they cheaper because they are "Woodcraft" branded and green?

I REALLY need some of them clamps!!

Cheers!

Jim Becker
10-02-2006, 2:57 PM
Stu, I'm not really sure about the "cheaper" part as they compare to the "list" prices for the regular Bessey clamps...as you know, many of us have purchased these clamps on "really good sales" from time to time.

That all said, can you imagine what the wall will look like with a combination of the new green clamps and the original red ones?? LOL!! Sleigh bells ring..... ;)

Al Willits
10-02-2006, 3:11 PM
I bought some of the Bessy's when someone here mentioned they were on sale at Amazon, can't remember if the woodcraft price is good compared to that or not???

Now ya want me to color coordinate my garage with matching clamps???

:D

Al

Jeffrey Schronce
10-02-2006, 7:12 PM
The Woodcraft parallel clamp seems to be identical to the new Harbor Freight parallel clamp. They seem to have the steel handles like the Harbor Freight versus the wooden handles of the Bessey. Though I didn't look at the HF closely it appeared to be of like quality as the Bessey.

As noted, Bessey Kbods can be bought from Amazon during a super sale for almost half price. Until, HF has a sale and coupon Bessey is surprisingly the price leader.

Lars Thomas
10-02-2006, 9:15 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a Bessy and a Woodcraft cut open to determine if they are really the same. It seems we are about due for another Amazon Bessy super-sale.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, remember guys, Amazon will NOT ship to me, but WoodCraft will :rolleyes:

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I'll check them out for you, Stu, when I go in to work tomorrow. Didn't have any time to even look at them today.

Bruce

Dave Mapes
10-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Interesting you should ask! I stopped in at woodcraft today and asked about the clamps. They had so 50 ers in stock so I was able to visably see and feel the differences. I was told they are they are made by bessey beside being green instead of red. The only other differences I do see was that the handles are plastic handles that IMO has a better feel in the palm and the bar is a cast and not polished. (I did not feel that would effect the functionality) The rest appeared to be pure bessey.

Price wise - yes they are cheaper than bessey by a few dollars (5 or less IIRC ). I don't know if they will reduce prices when somebody has a great sale like bessey did last NOV and DEC. or Amazon's a couple of months ago.

Alan DuBoff
10-03-2006, 2:03 AM
Looking at the Woodcraft and Bessey clamps, I notice some differences in them, but not sure how correct the pics are.

Notice that the metal that the handle screw attaches to, doesn't appear plated on the Woodcraft like it is on the Bessey. Also the handle is different as noted already, and you can see there is a ferrul on the Bessey which isn't present on the Woodcraft. The Woodcraft handle does appear to be steel as noted being similar to the harbor frieght ones.

They look functionally equivilant. I'm sure they would last for many years of gluing wood, for either of them. I have Besseys for what it's worth.

Art Mulder
10-03-2006, 7:40 AM
Well, remember guys, Amazon will NOT ship to me, but WoodCraft will :rolleyes:

There's nothing personal, Stu. They won't ship to me, either. :mad::rolleyes:

I used to make regular business trips into Michigan, and that's how I got my Makita Router for $157 from Amazon 2 yrs ago. So far a trip has never coincided with a Bessey deal. Oh well. But Gross+Stabil's have been discounted 40% at the last two wood shows and I like them also...