PDA

View Full Version : Idiot proof hinges

Brad Hammond
10-15-2003, 8:49 PM
I've got a small order for some cedar lined pine boxes. simple things, just box joints and a lid. Only 12"x24"x12" deep. So the lid will not be that heavy. The last time i experimented with a box or two for the shop i had trouble with the piano style hinges i was using. couldn't get the lid sqare or something.
anywho.... In ya'lls vast and knowledgable experience, what are the most idiot proof hinges you've found?
I was thinking something like barrell hinges, but i've yet to try those.

thanx alot................your friendly neighborhood idiot signing off.
brad

Dennis McDonaugh
10-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Brad, I don't think there is any such thing as a foolproof hinge. Its been my experience that the fewer screws in the hinge, the easier it is to align. Use a selfcentering bit to make things even easier. Good luck.

Todd Burch
10-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Try surface mount, decorative hinges - kinda like the flour-de-lis (sp?) style bright brass Stanley hinges. Before you just set the lid down and screw 'em in, do this. Get a thin piece of wood, or thick paper - like a breakfast cereal box thin cardboard, and use it as a spacer underneath the lid. Clamp the lid in place and then screw the hinges on. No binding.

Todd.

Brad Hammond
10-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Try surface mount, decorative hinges - kinda like the flour-de-lis (sp?) style bright brass Stanley hinges. Before you just set the lid down and screw 'em in, do this. Get a thin piece of wood, or thick paper - like a breakfast cereal box thin cardboard, and use it as a spacer underneath the lid. Clamp the lid in place and then screw the hinges on. No binding.

Todd.

surface hinges.......i'll try that!
thanx yall