PDA

View Full Version : When to sharpen TS blades?

Jim Mackell
10-02-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm always amazed after I have one of the TS blades sharpened at just how much better it cuts! Seems simple enuf - but because they dullen (get dull?) over such a long period of time it's difficult to know exactly when it's "the right time". So suddenly I notice the increased resistance or the dense smoke pouring off and say "Gee, guess it's that time!":eek:

Is there is simple test to determine when a blade should be sharpened?:confused:

Tom Jones III
10-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I've become a believer in sharpening often. If I notice "hair" on the back of a crosscut or a rough rip cut then I'll get it sharpened. In practice this works out to the end of every large project. Large for me is 3 oak chests of drawers. I've got a dedicated crosscut blade, a separate rip blade and a combo that I use as a general purpose blade for cuts that won't show. Using the different blades means that they each stay sharper longer than a single blade would.

scott spencer
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Keeping the blade clean and free of pitch can help postpone sharpening. I get my sharpened when I start to feel decreased feedrate and see increased burning. For me it's only about every 1.5 to 2 years.