PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my chair

Robert Trotter
10-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi people,

There was lots of help about what tools to get and things like that.
I see that a few have posted pics of their projects so I thought I might just add a couple of photos of my latest.

This is a full size model chair I made. I was thinking of making some more out of teak for the balcony. But it is quite nice and it has found a spot in our bedroom.

I based my design on a chair I saw in a furniture book. A little on the modern Eurpean side but we like that. The legs are angled front to back but I also put a very slight angle from side to side. This made some tricky angled mortice and tennons that I wasn't so sure if they would work out or not. But it was a model to test what I was able to do before spending BIG bucks on good timber.

And here is the chair without the cushions.

And as I have been asking about tools I thought I might show you what I used to make this project.

What do you think?
Does this bring to mind any tool recomendations

Robert

Maurice Metzger
10-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Nice looking chair, Robert. My only tool recommendation would be to keep on getting the most out of what you have - it's an inspiration how much you did with a minimal set of tools.

Maurice

Robert Trotter
10-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks Maurice.

Mike Henderson
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Nice job. And especially with just a small set of hand tools. It's inspiring to see what can be done with a few tools and a good mind.

Congratulations.

Mike

Hans Braul
10-02-2006, 6:08 PM
I love it. Nice simple, elegant design, and well made, as far as I can see. I love the way you laid out such a simple set of tools. Is this really all you used? I would think angled tenons would need a sliding bevel to lay out. Well done.

Hans

Hans Braul
10-02-2006, 6:11 PM
Just realized something. Your saw has a back, so how did you cut the material? Did you just buy the lumber as "sticks" and then plane it down?

Hans

Robert Trotter
10-02-2006, 7:38 PM
Woops:eek:

Yeah, there are a couple tools not shown.
I have a another small saw with no back that I used to rip down the tapers on the legs etc. Pretty inaccurate but I sawed till close enough to the line and then took out all the wobbles and took it down to he line with my small plane.

And yes, I also have a Japanese sliding bevel. And I used a hand drill to drill the mortices for the dowel at the top of the chair to support the seat material.
Ummm... I think that is about it unless I include a paint brush and sandpaper. Oh yes... and a ruler and tape measure.

I didn't use a shooting board as I don't have one. I will make one up for my new little shop whenever that happens. I just used the saw in the picture for cross cuts and 90% of the time the surface finish was near perfect. Just a bit of sandpaper. The other 10%, when I missed the line on the cut I trimmed with my little plane by hand very carefully.

And if I do get around to making anymore chairs I think I might use a swiveling back like you have on some director's chairs rather than the fixed dowel at the top. (Then I think I might have to think about an extra member lower down to help resist racking ???) This would be a bit more comfortable to slouch in:D without the back cushion which would allow me to scale the chair size down a notch. It is actually a single seat lounge chair size.

The sewing for the cushions was a big episode as well. I had to get some advice on that.:D Upholstery is trickier than it looks.