PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Needed

Mark Hulette
10-02-2006, 9:40 AM
The Background-We had some pretty strong storms here in Central KY last weekend (with flash flooding and lots of lightning). Our lights flickered but never really went out after a particularly close lightning strike.

The Problem- my computer will start and works fine in all phases but I don't have any connection to my ISP. I'm on cable modem and it works (at least all the lights work and shows a signal. The back of the modem has a flashing green light as well as where the cable attaches to the back of the PC.

I'm getting a message that says "A network cable is unplugged". I've checked the cables and have even replaced the cable from the modem to the PC with no luck. :mad:

Do any of you computer/network geniusi know what I can do to get my connection back? Thanks for all your help!

Frank Fusco
10-02-2006, 9:58 AM
Can't say for sure but a couple steps that put cable modems back in business 75% of the time are:
Shut down computer, unplug modem from computer, unplug power from modem. Wait a minute.
Plug everything back in and start up again.
If that doesn't work, look for a 'reset' button on back. It may take a ball pen point or straightened paper clip to push.
If that doesn't work, call your ISP tech support. Word of advice, before calling tech support, use bathroom, get a glass of water, clear your schedule for the day and press #1 to speak English.

Jay Knoll
10-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Like Frank said but with a little bit of a difference

After everything is shut down

Start modem, wait for it to stabilize

If you have a router in your system, then start that and wait for it to stablize

Then start the computer

Jay

Mark Hulette
10-02-2006, 1:22 PM
Can't say for sure but a couple steps that put cable modems back in business 75% of the time are:
Shut down computer, unplug modem from computer, unplug power from modem. Wait a minute.
Plug everything back in and start up again.
If that doesn't work, look for a 'reset' button on back. It may take a ball pen point or straightened paper clip to push.
If that doesn't work, call your ISP tech support. Word of advice, before calling tech support, use bathroom, get a glass of water, clear your schedule for the day and press #1 to speak English.

Frank-

I've tried those steps- even to the point of unhooking the coax to the modem, unplugging the power to the modem and waiting 30 minutes. Still no luck. I haven't looked for a reset button so I'll give that a shot.

My CD-ROM drive died a couple of months ago and I spent 7 (yes, seven) hours on the phone trying to get someone to say it was a hardware or software problem. I finally hung up and replaced the drive and it's been working just fine up to this point. I understand what you're talking about.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve Clardy
10-02-2006, 2:03 PM
Did you go into control panel, modem, and see if windows communicates with your modem?

Rob Russell
10-02-2006, 2:09 PM
My brother had a similar experience recently. The problem turned out to be that the lighting strike had fried the ethernet port on their cable modem. You might check that - call your ISP for help if needed.

Matt Warfield
10-02-2006, 2:13 PM
My CD-ROM drive died a couple of months ago and I spent 7 (yes, seven) hours on the phone trying to get someone to say it was a hardware or software problem. I finally hung up and replaced the drive and it's been working just fine up to this point. I understand what you're talking about.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Seven hours!?!? Yikes! I don't even spend that much time in a week on the phone supporting customers. Sorry for your problems there.

For the cable modem, I would make a quick call to your provider to have the check the modem from their end. If they can't see it, then it needs to be replaced. Also, while everything is running, disconnect the ethernet cable from the cable modem...does the link light go out? Lightning really wreaks havoc with CM's and I wouldn't trust the lights one bit.

Mark Hulette
10-02-2006, 2:24 PM
Did you go into control panel, modem, and see if windows communicates with your modem?

Yeah Steve, It's saying "network cable unplugged" so it's looking for it--- just can't find it even with the new cable!

:eek: Thanks! :eek:

Mark Hulette
10-02-2006, 2:31 PM
Seven hours!?!? Yikes! I don't even spend that much time in a week on the phone supporting customers. Sorry for your problems there.

For the cable modem, I would make a quick call to your provider to have the check the modem from their end. If they can't see it, then it needs to be replaced. Also, while everything is running, disconnect the ethernet cable from the cable modem...does the link light go out? Lightning really wreaks havoc with CM's and I wouldn't trust the lights one bit.

Matt- The big problem (other than 7 hours :rolleyes: ) was I kept getting cut off and had to start from ground zero every time I called back! That's what took the longest time (besides trying to decipher what the techie was saying :( ). I guess Dell doesn't mind the 800 number charges to India~

Thanks for the tip in contacting the ISP- wasn't sure what they could do from their end- I've got a call into them now.

THANKS!

Mark Hulette
10-03-2006, 9:25 AM
Here's the latest...

Talked to the ISPs tech folks and they isolated it to the ethernet card. A friend had a spare that we installed and it "improved" the situation but didn't fix it. So, he brought over his cable modem and everything worked fine.

Fried modem, anyone? So I dashed out to the local computer place and snatched up a new modem. Thought that would get me back online but didn't know the ISP had to recognize the new modem :rolleyes:. Oh well. Hopefully, it'll get working tonight!!

Thanks for all your help guys- I really appreciate it!

Frank Fusco
10-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Here's the latest...

Talked to the ISPs tech folks and they isolated it to the ethernet card. A friend had a spare that we installed and it "improved" the situation but didn't fix it. So, he brought over his cable modem and everything worked fine.

Fried modem, anyone? So I dashed out to the local computer place and snatched up a new modem. Thought that would get me back online but didn't know the ISP had to recognize the new modem :rolleyes:. Oh well. Hopefully, it'll get working tonight!!

Thanks for all your help guys- I really appreciate it!

Hope it works for you. Yes, 'fried' stuff is not unusual with computers during storms. I use an UPS unit. (uninterrupted power supply) It is a protection against lightening strikes. For $50.00 it will save hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of computer stuff and also allows a proper shut-down during extended power outages.

Mark Hulette
10-03-2006, 1:00 PM
Hope it works for you. Yes, 'fried' stuff is not unusual with computers during storms. I use an UPS unit. (uninterrupted power supply) It is a protection against lightening strikes. For $50.00 it will save hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of computer stuff and also allows a proper shut-down during extended power outages.

So will the UPS protect the PC and peripherals from lightning that enters through the cable?

That's what happened here as the PC has all the requisite surge protectors, etc. Just don't have anything to filter the spikes through the cable itself.

Robert Mickley
10-03-2006, 1:37 PM
I'm assuming since your talking about ethernet cables and cards that you have DSL or cable? Why did you have to buy a modem? I've lost two in 18 months both times the cable company replaced them free of charge

Jim Becker
10-03-2006, 2:40 PM
Robert, some folks choose to buy a cable modem rather than paying a rental charge. Unlike most DSL situations where the "modem" is provided without extra charge, many cable companies consider the cable modem they place an extra revenue stream. Buying is less costly over time...assuming you don't get whacked by lightning, of course...;)

Frank Fusco
10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
So will the UPS protect the PC and peripherals from lightning that enters through the cable?

That's what happened here as the PC has all the requisite surge protectors, etc. Just don't have anything to filter the spikes through the cable itself.

Yes, the UPS unit will protect from lightning. Surge protectors do not protect. Lotsa misunderstanding about that. Surge protectors sorta level out the electric stream (I'm not electric savy, excuse if terminology is wrong) and reduce stresses on the various thingys in the computer. But a good UPS unit will protect and some come with an insurance policy. Mine have always been the APC brand, I believe they are the leader in this field.

Matt Warfield
10-05-2006, 1:42 PM
UPS will help regulate the power supplied to whatever is plugged into them. However, just because your computer power is protected by the UPS, a lightning strike can still come through the Coax and telephone lines. In my experience, telephone lines are the biggest culprits for allowing lightning damage followed by coax and power. Of the several dozen lightning strike victims I've worked on, I would put forth a rough guesstimate of 90% phone line, 7% coax, and 3% power as the route of the voltage spike.

Steve Clardy
10-05-2006, 1:48 PM
After loosing what seems like a bazillion modems and power protected strips over the years:( ,
I got into the habit of unplugging my modem after each dialup.
If I hear thunder in the distance, I unplug and shut down.

Boyd Gathwright
10-05-2006, 7:25 PM
.... Whenever I finish my computer sessions for the evening, I completely DISCONNECT my power source from the wall. I have done this since before computers had a name (PC's). Also, when we used phone modems they too were DISCONNECTED from the wall after each session along with the power cord which led to a number of power (PROTECTED) strips. Today we still DISCONNECT the power source from the wall but we NOW have cable modems and I do not disconnect them from the modem. We just recently, day before yesterday, had NEW double shielded coax cable buried over 200' at about a foot in the ground with grounding faults on both ends installed (replaced). This is a new step for me, normally I would NOT trust such a situation but for the past several years this arrangement has worked out very well with no consequences even during severe storm activity.

:)

Ian Abraham
10-05-2006, 7:43 PM
After loosing what seems like a bazillion modems and power protected strips over the years:( ,
I got into the habit of unplugging my modem after each dialup.
If I hear thunder in the distance, I unplug and shut down.

Yup... 9 times out of 10 the zap will come in via the phone line.
Surge protectors / UPS will help sometimes... but if you get a direct hit it just blows your surge protector THEN your PC :rolleyes:

Unlpugging the power from the wall isn't a silly idea either, the 'switch' on a modern PC isn't actually a mains power switch like in the old days. It's more a 'standby' switch. There is still mains power into the supply and standby voltages to the system board when the PC is 'Off'. If you take the cover off most motherboards will have a LED glowing on the system to remind the techies that the power is still on before they replace parts and blow things up :rolleyes:

Ian

Mark Hulette
10-06-2006, 9:35 AM
Well to give some closure to this epic... I've been on the phone with my ISP daily and then with their IT Support nightly. We have grown very close. I did get connected but the connection speed was almost nonexisitent. I thought some of the ISP's equipment might have been hit but their test found it was in my PC.

I was getting really frustrated at this point so I broke down and called the Geek Squad. The earliest someone could get to my house was NOVEMBER 23rd!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: So they give you the option of tech help over the phone... at $2.99/minute. Thank you, no.

The pressure was really building at this point- I was about to blow a gasket and voila, it came to me to check the Norton firewall, virus protection, etc. I uninstalled it and setup the USB option and it works (3x faster than it did before!)!!!!! So there's obviously an issue with that but I'm back online at home...

Again, thanks for all the tips, advice and support.

jeremy levine
10-06-2006, 10:34 AM
.. I uninstalled it and setup the USB option and it works (3x faster than it did before!)!!!!! So there's obviously an issue with that but I'm back online at home...

Again, thanks for all the tips, advice and support.

I can tell you how but not why ( or why but not how ). The firewall software was preventing the PC from asking the modem for a new IP address, to Windows this look like a "unpluged" cable ( phone Bill Gates).

I assume this happened. Long ago you modem and ISP connection were set up, all was fine. Your system has and IP address which in many cases it will hold for a long time.

Firewall software installed/setup. Storm comes. Modem gone.

Modem comes back ( or is new ). Firewall software not allowing system to get an ip address which is lost ( probably cleared where the modem died ).

When you removed the firewall software the PC was able to "phone home"