PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
10-02-2006, 9:35 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Yup, it's that time again.

Friday, the family and I went to cut up a couple of downed trees from some folks that I work with. One was Oak, nice firewood there and another was Hickory, nice firewood and nice turning stock. So now, the boys have something to do, like stacking the wood and we'll rent a power splitter for all the big stuff as I have more to be split from other wood gathering trips. ;)

Saturday was spent building more of the rustic type cabinets for the 2nd Chance Youth Ranch. It's been fun and challenging, but then again, it's worth the effort to help those kids and the camp out with something they are in need of. :)

Sunday was church, rest on the couch for a bit and then I had to go in to work from 6 to 11PM to help out with some critical issues and provide some relief from the OnCall person. I am OnCall starting this week, so I already know that this week "ain't gonna be fun". :(

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Chris Jenkins
10-02-2006, 9:54 AM
Well right now I am without shop as the house gets built... Only nine more weeks though! In the bordem of no shop I took the time to bust out all my chisels and all my planes and sharpen them! This is something I have NEVER done! It is usually a few here a few there... Clearly I am suffering from Shop withdrawl.

Matt Meiser
10-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Absolutely no woodworking. Saturday and Sunday I spent several hours on the tractor digging a 30' diameter retention basin near the back of my property. About 1/2 the spoils were put down on a 100-200' stretch of the paths I have where I've gotten both the tractor and my truck stuck in the spring. While digging I found out why we get so much standing water--there is clay about 2'-3' down back there.

Jim O'Dell
10-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Sat. I spent the am replacing the plugs on LOML's van. I'm still battered and bruised from that. Sat. afternoon and Sun. I played in the shop some. Built a jig to help cut the 6" PVC ducting a little straighter, then glued some sandpaper on to a cutoff disc and used the jig to sand them smooth at the RAS. worked great. Re-configured the duct from ceiling to the TS. Got through, didn't like it, so put it back the way it was. Cut the pipe to go toward the BS. Need some fittings to finish that up. I should order the flex pipe I asked for input on Sat. here, and also order some more fittings from McMaster-Carr at lunch or this evening. This and 1 more section of pipe should bet the basic layout done for the cyclone.

We are swimming in rescue dogs at the moment. Farmed one out Sat. to another foster family, then got 3 more in Sun. :( :( That makes a total of 7 rescues and our own 4. Can't hardly walk without going around, over, and sometimes on red fur. Hopefully we can find some forever homes for some of them soon! Have a good week! Jim.

JayStPeter
10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Saturday I cut the tennons on my workbench legs. Sunday I started fitting them. I only had a few total hours, so didn't finish getting them ready for glue. I only got one side fitted and still have to round over and sand. Hopefully I can get down there a couple hours in the evenings this week and be ready to put strechers in next weekend.
I also layed the walls out in my basement on the floor. We realized the bathroom was too small and will make it a half-bath and return the shower I bought. It was getting returned anyway as the quality was lower than I wanted.
Saturday we had 17 7-year olds over for a birthday party for my son :eek: :eek: :eek: (did I mention :eek: ).

Jay

Jim Becker
10-02-2006, 10:37 AM
The only woodworking this weekend was in my head. (Scary thought...) Staturday was the usual slate of kid activities with the younger having dance in the morning and the older having karate in the afternoon. The weather was unpleasant, too, so it was an indoor day. Sunday was busy as the younger had a birthday party to attend and Dr. SWMBO had a foofy event at the university president's home. (She recently joined the faculty of a notable institution of higher learning in Philadelphia). So it was the older and I for the afternoon. Quite enjoyable. You can read about it in the BLOG (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com), but here's a hint about one of the stops we made...

Larry Fox
10-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Saturday milled some rail/stile stock and got setup to start building boxes for my kitchen cabinet project. Sunday spent cutting up plywood into the various parts I need and building boxes.

Tom Henry
10-02-2006, 10:47 AM
This weekend I started to make a cross-cut sled. I have the base attached to the rails. I need to go get some 2in stock for the front and back supports.:D

Tyler Howell
10-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Great weekend. Beautiful fall day in the Minniapple How about those Twins??

Lots of staining and sealing this weekend, windows and trim.
Did a glue up that may go on the lathe:rolleyes: .
Mucked out the garage and found all kinds of tools I haven't seen in a while:o .
Spent real quality time with the family. Always good to get together:D .

Mark Pruitt
10-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I said on Friday that I needed to clean my shop, and (rightly) predicted that I would instead get caught up in woodturning. At this point, there are tools I cannot find because the place is such a mess, but what do I do? More turning!:p Tyler is right in calling it "spin crack."

Wanting to do some turning with dried wood, I went to a supplier and purchased some 16/4 cherry and some 8/4 bloodwood. Cut out square blanks and sealed the ends. That is some beautiful stuff. I can't wait to see how it turns.

Oh, and have I mentioned turning yet?:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: I purchased a Sorby Multi Tip Hollowing Tool on Friday and have not used it yet, but it's up next! I have the outside of a cherry HF completed; it's now time to do the hollowing. Maybe I can get to it this evening after I finish cutting grass.

Art Mulder
10-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Took the day off on Friday to take the family out to the Woodstock Woodshow. (Because "a bad day at the show is better than a good day at work." ;) Heard that one somewhere...)

Scored a 80 tooth delta crosscut blade for $20, taxes in, regular $80.

Also bought a DW735, or at least ordered one, for a really sweet price also. $60 off list, with an extra set of blades and a dust attachment. :cool:
(anyone want my old 10" ryobi?)

Saturday was a local small community parade + fair, but the fair got rained out. Oh well, parades are fun. Sunday was church and kids playing, and I also got some time in the show to make some progress on some wall shelves. Completion + Photos in a week or two, I hope.

Best,
...art

Al Willits
10-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Sat morn we went off to look at windows, beginning to think salesmen should have to go to school for selling windows, got three size suggestions and two were definitely to big and the third is doubtful..grrrr
Did have a nice lucnch them came home and worked on the garage.

Did some more cleaning out there, actually have a corner now that looks some what wood orientated and cleaned and mounted a steel cabinet for my hand power tools, and painted another section of the walls, then hung some pipe fitting tools on it.

Wife says if she squints a bit she can see some improvement....:)

Sunday golfed in the AM, then came home and did some tree trimming and ..yes...cleaned the garage for a bit, new neighbors were having a house warming party so I joined that for a bit.

Al

Don Baer
10-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Sat I cleaned the shop in the AM since the grandaughter decided she wanted to be in the shop with "Papa" and I won't run any power tools while she's with me. In the afternoon I finished assembling the the case work on 2 file 2 drawer file cabinets and another 4 drawer cabinate that are to be part of the "BIG" desk for LOML. I was going to spend the rest of the weekend sanding them down but LOML reminded me that I have to turn 12 platters that will be used as tropheys for the church golf tourneyment that is comming up so the rest of the week end was spent turning..:D . There was church Sunday morning and lunch with LOML. All in all a pleasent weekend. Next week end we will be going over to California for a wedding so I guess I'll be doing a lot of turning this week in the evenings. :D :D :D

Kurt Loup
10-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Actually finished this chest of drawers last weekend, but just got around to uploading pictures. The chest was made with African mahogany plywood and solids. The drawer fronts were made with anigre veneer over a Baltic birch substrate with Spanish cedar beading. The drawer sides were made of poplar and the drawer bottoms were made from MDF covered with green felt. The drawers ride on full extension slides. So as to achieve a greater contrast between the mahogany and anigre, I stained the mahogany with Minwax mahogany gel stain. The mahogany received 4-5 coats of amber shellac. The drawer fronts received 4-5 coats of clear shellac.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/finishedcab-451x600.jpg

Larry Fox
10-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Kurt, that is a very beautiful piece. This really does deserve it's own thread so that it does not get overlooked. Very nice work.

Randy Long
10-02-2006, 1:06 PM
Hi,
I completed 2 projects.
Mounted my tree shelf.
http://home.wi.rr.com/rlongroot/projects/Tree-Shelf-005.jpg

And stopped fussing with the finish on my Bloodwood and White Maple Coffee table.
http://home.wi.rr.com/rlongroot/projects/BW-Coffee-Table-005.jpg

Chip Olson
10-02-2006, 3:17 PM
Saturday we spent the morning at Drumlin Farm with the kidlet and my sister; took a hayride (which kidlet loved; he's currently big into tractors) and looked at livestock. Walked downtown in the evening for burritos and ice cream.

Sunday I got 4 coats of USL on the cabinet drawers. Should be done with that phase, possibly minus some finish sanding. I have an insanely clever idea for making the pull-outs height-adjustable, but need to think it through more (and decide if I want to take the schedule hit involved).

Mike Spanbauer
10-02-2006, 3:43 PM
Went shopping for parts on Saturday with my sons. Sunday was very productive. Installed 4 new T8 lights to complement the 4 T12's (once I run out of T-12 bulbs I will be replacing them with T-8's also.

Installed 75% of the new ductwork for my Oneida so I can stop using flexhose.

Cleaned 1/2 the shop to prepare for the lighting installation also.

Mike

Maurice Metzger
10-02-2006, 4:43 PM
Last woodworking for a while, did some stock preparation (scrub a dub dub):

Maurice

Bob Childress
10-02-2006, 4:50 PM
Well, as predicted Friday, I finished re-laying the kitchen floor Saturday, reinstalled all moldings, registers, etc. and it's done! (Again :mad: )

Sunday visited the shop and discovered that the cleaning fairy had not come in and cleaned it so cranked up the trusty CT-22 and had at it. Not as good as building something, but really necessary :o . Beautiful weather here just now, so LOML and I took advantage of the sun porch and watched the squirrels and I burned a couple of steaks. All in all, very satisfying.

Steve Hayes
10-02-2006, 5:07 PM
RV show. That says it all. Now if I could just win the lottery.....

Dennis Peacock
10-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Beautiful piece there Kurt!!! Well done sir. :D

Actually finished this chest of drawers last weekend, but just got around to uploading pictures. The chest was made with African mahogany plywood and solids. The drawer fronts were made with anigre veneer over a Baltic birch substrate with Spanish cedar beading. The drawer sides were made of poplar and the drawer bottoms were made from MDF covered with green felt. The drawers ride on full extension slides. So as to achieve a greater contrast between the mahogany and anigre, I stained the mahogany with Minwax mahogany gel stain. The mahogany received 4-5 coats of amber shellac. The drawer fronts received 4-5 coats of clear shellac.

Kurt

Kent Cartwright
10-03-2006, 8:16 AM
Ahh, what a great weekend, even without the shop time. Saturday was a full day of trout fishing, as it was the last day of the season here in Michigan. The brookies were cooperating, and the two young ladies (7 & 8 yrs) caught their fair share too. Sunday was lazing around, enjoying the fall colors in full blaze of glory (at least in the Upper Penisula), then it was back home for a few "honey-do's".

Kent