PDA

View Full Version : How to haul a bandsaw?

Rob Will
10-02-2006, 12:04 AM
You guys are probably getting tired of my bandsaw questions....
but why not ask the experts?

So if you needed to haul a Moak 36 about 400 miles, how would you do it?

Standing upright on a utility trailer w/ lots of straps?
Lying down?
Some disassembly required?

Thanks,
Rob

Alan DuBoff
10-02-2006, 12:42 AM
I would move it standing upright, and use tie straps to secure it very well to the trailier. Bandsaws are big, and as such you should take it slow as going fast around turns could dump the load, that wouldn't be good. IOW, if the bandsaw is big enough, it can take the trailer with it if you're not careful. If you use ratcheting tie straps (what I reccomend), make sure to stop every once in a while and make sure the straps don't loosen up. They will do that as things settle after you strap it down.

Make sure you have a heavy duty trailer, a Moak 36 is probably in the order of 2500 lbs. I would guess, but don't know for certain.

A heavy, tall machine like a band saw is probably the most difficult machine to move. Few machines as tall as a band saw. That leaves a high center of balance.

EDIT: not sure how you're getting on/off the trailer, but if you're lucky and someone loads it for you, then you only have to worry about getting it off the trailer. Forgot to add. depeding on the design I would think about taking the upper wheel off. If it's protected well, it's probably not an issue, but definitely secure the wheels good when you move it to be safe. My current band saw was delivered in my driveway, so I only had to move it in the garage. I'm planning to use a trailer if I find the band saw I lust for. It will probably be the heaviest machine I ever move...(famous last words) You'll probably need to roll it on pipes when you get it home unless you're fortunate to have a crane, forklift, pallet jack, or similar. If the upper assembly can detatch to lighten it up, you might be able to lift the lower portion with an engine hoist. You only need to lift it a couple inches, pull the trailer out and ease it down. Otherwise pipes under it should work fine. That's how I did my crescent jointer, but it's only 800 lbs. That Moak is gonna be a big boy! My Yates-American G-89 weighs about 1600 lbs, but had a mobile base for it. Easier said than done, there are issues moving around 1600 lbs, even if it's a few inches. Think it out completly (and then a couple more times) before you do it. You want to move it safely. If you have to move it on it's frame, make sure the back of frame side is on the ground i.e. to get it in your shop. Consider getting/borrowing a Johnson Bar (I don't have one, but people that move this these types of machines praise them, they can leverate a few tons of weight a few inches at a time). That would come in handy for a band saw like that Moak must be. Moak, like most all great old arn didn't make too many lightweight machines. You really should post your question on owwm.org to get the best advice.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-02-2006, 1:20 AM
I agree with what Alan has said, I'd not lay it down, if it can be avoided.

I'd also what to put some cleats on the floor of the trailer, so there is no way the BS could shift to the front or sides. You could do this by screwing 2x4s to the floor (thinking wooden floored trailer) or by making a stopper that goes between the walls of the trailer and the base of the BS.

Buy or borrow the wide ratcheting straps, you can put a heck of a lot of pull on those, and be careful where you strap the BS down from, make sure that you don't stress anything on the BS.

Whatever you do, do it slowly and carefully and with lots of pis............................. to share with us! :D

Cheers!

lou sansone
10-02-2006, 6:15 AM
make sure to take the table off the saw. this is one of its weakest points. Move it up right, pick if from below if you can. you don't need to remove the upper wheel. use roller pipes to move it around in the shop. bolt it to the floor

best wishes
lou

Mike Cutler
10-02-2006, 7:03 AM
Rob.

Not much to add to the great advice already presented. One outside the box suggestion though. If you can beg borrow or steal a horse trailer. They are awesome for moving big tall heavy objects, especially ones with high centers of gravity that like to move around a little bit. They have a ramp, and they can protect things from the weather.

If ya' lived closer, I'd loan you mine.

lou sansone
10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
added some photos
lou

Brian Coe
10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I recently just moved a Moak 36" approx. 900 miles from Florida to NC. Weight is around 2500 lbs., so a trailer rated for the weight is an absolute must. I was lucky enough to borrow one that was dual axle and equipped with brakes. Made the proccess feel much more secure. The heavy duty ratcheting tie downs are a must. make sure to pad them where they may pass over a sharp edge; they are very tough, but a sharp edge abrades them with the vibration of travel and can cut through pretty quickly. As Lou said, I would recommend removing the table at a minimum. The seller had also removed the wheels and the upper guard, so this made it a little less top heavy and a little easier to handle. I did nail in some 2x4s around the base, to prevent any shifting, and the straps kept the top from leaning. Took about 3 hours to unload it using pipe rollers, engine hoist, pallet jack, and levers. I would recommend using the holes in the base to attach some longer 4x4 skids to lengthen the footprint if possible, or use a pallet. Even with parts removed it can be top heavy when rolling it around with the small footprint it has. Hope some of this helps, and good luck!

Brian Coe