PDA

View Full Version : Bad News - Good News, the bandsaw blues

John Bailey
10-01-2006, 7:44 PM
Well, I've got some bad news - good news. The bad news is I lost my part-time job, which was financing my shop and tools. As some of you may recall, I've been searching for the right bandsaw for some time. I finally was in the position of buying whatever I wanted. Well, no more.

Good News. I took Louis Iturra's advice and bought the oldest Delta I could find, a 1948 Delta 890. I'm thrilled with it. As you see, it's not the best looking bandsaw, but it passes the nickel test and it's going to do everything I'm going to need for the near future. At last, I can get to work.

47816 47817

I've listen to everyone talking about resawing. So, using the 3/16th blade that was on it when I got it, I resawed some 5" teak. Sliced off a piece a little less than 1/8" and smooth enough so it would need very little sanding. I'm sure with the proper blade it will do even better.

47818 47819

So, now I've got a 58 yr. old bandsaw, a 64 yr. old planer and a 50 yr. old radial arm saw. I didn't set out to buy all this old stuff, but it just seems to come my way, and I seem to like it.

John

John Bush
10-01-2006, 8:24 PM
Hi John,
Did you get the Parks up and running? Sounds like you are investing wisely as you fill your shop. Good luck, JCB.

Russ Massery
10-01-2006, 8:35 PM
Congrats on the bandsaw, I know what your talking about. Mine's a little newer it's a 62' model. The only real differents I see from yours is the stand. I reccomend getting Ittura's catalog if you don't have one already.

Jeff Horton
10-01-2006, 8:36 PM
John,old iron is not for everyone but I really do think you will be happier with it. My shop has become almost all old tools too. Mostly 1946-48 model. The more I have used the old machines the less I want anything new. While I wouldn't go so far as to say old is always better, in most cases it it.

Thats a nice looking bandsaw. My Grizzly bandsaw is the only new big machine. Pretty happy with it actually. One of these days I will find a really big old bandsaw to replace it with.

John Bailey
10-01-2006, 9:00 PM
John,

The Parks has been all electrolysized and painted. I'm just now starting to put it back together. It took a rest for my summer job (sea kayak guide in Greece) and then I started building boats and kayaks. One of these days I'll have a need to use it and it will get done quickly.

Russ,

I got the catalogue, that's why I got the bandsaw. For anyone who doesn't have it, it's a wealth of knowledge and more like a text than a catalogue.

John

Joe Mioux
10-01-2006, 9:58 PM
John:

Congrats on the bandsaw, Looks like it is well tuned. Use it well!

Joe

Alan DuBoff
10-01-2006, 11:06 PM
John,

Ditto on what Jeff said, but he's farther along than me in getting new woodworking machines replaced in his shop. I'm looking for a band saw, but will only settle for a Yates-American snowflake (30" or 36"), and can wait to find one at a decent price as I have a Jet 18X that is not a bad saw, just a little on the new side.

I see you have a Parks planer also. I have one that is very close to being restored, I finished the base a week or two ago, and just need to find myself a starter/switch and get a pulley and belts. The planer had pretty much been restored, aside from very minor cleanup and to put the name plate back on (previous own did give that to me).

This weekend I got my Yates-American G-89 table saw to come to life, oh my, what a saw...and talk about chutzpah...

Getting 3 phase electrical in my shop has been quite a long process. I also got my Yates-American J-31 jointer purrin' also...hey, can you tell I like Yates-American machines? :cool:

You're one step ahead as you most likely don't need 3 phase for either and/or all of your machines, and single phase motors do make things easier. I decided to take the plunge and bite the arn bullet, since many of the old really cool machines were 3 phase. The motors are also available cheaply. Just for my table saw alone, having 3 phase was worth it (cost to me was about $300-$400 after all wiring and converter were purchased), but wasn't cheap.

I want to have 2 bandsaws and will at some point look for a 14"-16" old vintage band saw as well (hey, a Yates-American J-120 would be nice;-). The reason I want 2 bandsaws is that a small one is convenient for smaller scroll type work, to use with a 1/4" or 3/8" blade. I wouldn't mind a Delta or Walker Turner though, I love the art decco look of the old Walker Turner band saws.

To be honest, I wouldn't feel one bit bad having an entire shop of Yates-American machines from the WWII era. I certainly wouldn't feel cheated in any way.

Good luck on your restore(s), and hey, sorry to hear about your job...but now you have some time to play with your old machines! ;)

Jim Becker
10-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Bummer on the PT job, John...but kudos on the very nice gloat!

tod evans
10-02-2006, 8:06 AM
john, another job will come along......but good ol` bandsaws are few and far between! nice score! tod

John Renzetti
10-02-2006, 8:16 AM
hi John, Sorry to hear about the job loss. I'm sure another will come your way real soon. On the plus side you'll have more time to work that new bandsaw.
That thing looks to be in great condition. Doesn't sound like it's lost any power over the years.
take care,
John

Frank Fusco
10-02-2006, 9:32 AM
Congrats on the bandsaw, I know what your talking about. Mine's a little newer it's a 62' model. The only real differents I see from yours is the stand. I reccomend getting Ittura's catalog if you don't have one already.

I believe the old stuff was way-way over engineered but made to last, and last and last. I'm 68 years old. My father was a professional cabinet/furniture maker. He had most of his shop machines before I was born. Today most of that equipment is still in use. At retirement he sold the business,then when that went under the stuff was sold off locally. The Delta radial arm saw, a jointer, planer, lathe, etc., etc. is all in daily use today. I inherited a huge 24" scroll saw but sold it. Still going strong.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-02-2006, 9:36 AM
.........................As you see, it's not the best looking bandsaw....................
John

Hockey Pucks, looks GREAT from where I'm sitting! :D

Paint who needs it ;) :rolleyes: Just slows you down :D

With a resaw blade on there, you will be cutting what you want when you want!

Nice get!!

Cheers!

John Bailey
10-02-2006, 12:58 PM
The part-time job was a luxury. I spent a lot of time working to be able to retire, and so, I'm not going to look very hard for another part-time job. I've got enough equipment to make whatever I want, I've got a shop that is a dream to work in, and I'm in woodworking nirvana. I lead a simple life that doesn't take much income to make do. This is going to be some of the best years of my life.

John