PDA

View Full Version : I need help coiling a bandsaw blade please?

Kevin Blunt
10-01-2006, 7:20 PM
Hey guys, I have a few blades for my bandsaw that need to be coiled for storage reasons. I have seen the tips on how to do it by placing one foot on it but I don't like that option as I am scared of damaging the blade or possibly ruining the set of the teeth in areas. If anyone could direct me on how to do it easily, I woulld greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Per Swenson
10-01-2006, 7:31 PM
Kevin,

See if this helps,

Per

Mack Cameron
10-01-2006, 7:32 PM
Kevin; Drive down here, I'll give you a hands-on lesson. No charge!

Al Navas
10-01-2006, 8:13 PM
Here (http://www.newwoodworker.com/coilbsblde.html) is a short video on how to do it properly. Click on the first image for the Windows Media File.

Al

Bruce Page
10-01-2006, 8:25 PM
Al, that's exactly how I have been doing it for 30+ years. Everything from little 14" blades to large industrial blades. I haven't damaged a blade yet. Kevin, if you are worried about ruining the set of the teeth use a piece of wood as shown in the video.

Jake Helmboldt
10-01-2006, 8:53 PM
have you ever folded one of those silver sunshades for your windshield? It is done the same way.

1. Hold the blade with the teeth facing away from you, at the 4 & 8 o'clock position (like a steering wheel)
2.Thumbs against the back edg of the blade (thumbs up) roll your wrists inward and your thumbs downward (so they are pointing away from you)

This causes the loop to double over and also cross over itself (by pushing forward and in towards the middle.

Keep rolling your wrists inward and the loop will wrap down towards teh floor and then back up towards you and right to your hands, making three loops of blade. Once you figure it out it is very easy. Start with a small blade first.

Jake

Charlie Plesums
10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
...placing one foot on it but I don't like that option as I am scared of damaging the blade or possibly ruining the set of the teeth ...
The foot is just an extra hand for the moment to keep that part of the blade down until the other parts turn into the matching loops. Don't step hard or prevent motion... just use your foot to keep that portion of the blade in that general area.

Keith Hooks
10-02-2006, 2:48 PM
I would agree, start with a small blade first if you can. Once you see it work the first time, it's like magic!

Steve Clardy
10-02-2006, 3:32 PM
I use a very similiar method as Per's post.
But I don't use my foot. Band never touches the floor.
I flip it up under. Hard to explain I guess

Tyler Howell
10-02-2006, 4:28 PM
Thanks Again!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43638

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-02-2006, 4:28 PM
for thin blades grab the blade, let it touch the floor, step on it and rotate your arm while you follow it down.
For thicker blades like 2" resaws first you make your medical is paid up then - - - -

Ian Barley
10-02-2006, 4:29 PM
And this is one workshop task where gloves can come in handy!

Dick Bringhurst
10-02-2006, 4:33 PM
Tyler I use the method where you put your foot on the blade, but I put a piece of wood under it so the blade won't be damaged. Dick B.

Kevin Blunt
10-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks to all who posted with their versions of how to do this. I now have 3 131.5" blades nicely coiled up and hanging from the ceiling. What I would do without you guys sometimes I'll never know!! Oh and by the way, I found the version AL provided in the short video worked best for me.
Kevin

Al Navas
10-03-2006, 6:17 AM
Thanks to all who posted with their versions of how to do this. I now have 3 131.5" blades nicely coiled up and hanging from the ceiling. What I would do without you guys sometimes I'll never know!! Oh and by the way, I found the version AL provided in the short video worked best for me.
Kevin

Those blades sound like the ones for the Grizzly 17-inch BS, which is the one I have. I am sure glad it helped. Now, enjoy!!!

Al

John Bailey
10-03-2006, 1:17 PM
Cool, works slick!!:)

John

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-03-2006, 11:18 PM
for thin blades and blades all the way up to the 1 1/4" bandmill blades. Never used gloves and never had a problem. Many people are scared of things that needn't be scared of.