PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my bottom

Don Baer
10-01-2006, 1:40 PM
My platter bottom..:D

I am in the process of turning some platters that will be used as awards for my churches golf tournement. I'll make 4 at 12", 4 at 10" and 4 at 8". This is the first one and I am not liking the way it looks, just too plane. Maybe it just me and I should flip it and concentrat on the toop since thats what people will see but usualy by now I have a better mentel image as to what the whole thing will look like and it just ain't happening to me on this one.

Here what I have so far, suggestions ?? Maybe I should keep it simple and let the wood do the talking..:confused:

Bill Grumbine
10-01-2006, 6:52 PM
Hi Don

Did you ever think about getting them laser engraved? I did hundreds of pieces, even thousands, back in the 90s, mostly pens and pen boxes, but some larger pieces, and some of the guys in my turning club did a number of plates with very elaborate engravings. One of the larger jobs I did was for a commemorative pen set for a church using wood from a tree that was on the property when the church was founded back in 1725, and for which it was known. We engraved the church logo and some other things. Just a thought to help you dress it up, and people really like that stuff.

Bill

Randy Meijer
10-01-2006, 8:01 PM
Quit asking for seconds at the dinner table!!:D:D

Don Baer
10-01-2006, 9:57 PM
Bill,
I'm going ti have the tops laser engraved.
Randy,
Thanks for the advice. I already do that and it works. I've lost close to 60#..:D

To everyone else I flipped it over and just turned it. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it finished.

Charlie Plesums
10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
The bottom looks convex, inside the "foot." I think it might look better flat or slightly concave. Then I would focus on the top.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Don here is a picture of how I did my platters. Mike Mahoney says the bottom of the platter must be flat and the size should be 60% to 75% of the total measurement across the platter. I went with 65% and it seems to be fine. I also used my chuck in a recess you can see. Don't know if this is what you are looking for but works for me.

Don Baer
10-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks Bernie,

That helps a bunch. The bottom om mine is 9.25" and it's 12" on top so that makes mine 77% just a little over. Now I have something to shoot for.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Don I just measured one. It is 11 1/2" across and I made the bottom 7 3/8". So that will give you some idea. Glad I could help.