PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted hybrid saws - DW746??

John Piwaron
10-01-2006, 11:22 AM
What's the opinion of the DW746 hybrid TS?

As you may note from my recent air cleaner posting, I'm becoming more serious about collecting airborne dust, and a saw more capable of connecting a dust collector/vac/whatever to it seems like a good idea.

This also generally fits in with my desire to upgrade to a saw with more power.

Currently I use a Craftsman TS with the cast iron extension wings. Before you laugh, it's been upgraded every way possible save the motor. Biesemeyer fence, zero clearance insert, link belt, steel pulleys. But being a contractor's saw, lacks in the dust collection department.

So I'm interest in a saw like the DW746. But I'm concerned about all sorts of things. How well does it hold it's adjustments. Is it really powerful enought? Are they doing a Sears style horsepower claim - an inflated number that's not really true. What about the fence? Is it up to Biesemeyer accuracy? And does the dust port actually collect all the mess or is it a big waste of effort?

Anything else I should know about this or any other hybrid? I'm afraid a real cabinet saw is out of reach at this time.:)

Gene Hatcher
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
John,
I have had this saw for several years. I have the slider and replaced the right steel wing with their cast iron wing. I am using the stock fence which is fine for me. The saw has plenty of power and I use a full kerf Woodworker II. I suspect if you run alot of 8/4 oak through it you'll wish you had bought the cabinet saw. The dust collection works fine, but when using a zero clearance insert it will not pick up above the tabe. That's probably true with any table saw. The blade was proberly aligned when I bought the saw and I have not had to readjust it. Yes, I check it with a dial indicator.
So, I think it's a good saw, at least it's fine for me. It replaced an old Craftsman flex drive that had power issues and most anything would have been a step up. I really like the slider.

scott spencer
10-01-2006, 12:59 PM
The 746 had some advantages over the original Jet Supersaw when it came out, and definitely had some advantages of the traditional contractor saw design. It's well made, but compared to the newer generation of full enclosure hybrids that offer a Biese or Biese clone and cast iron wings, I don't think the 746 has many advantages left. Some folks like the fence on the 746, but you don't hear many claiming it to be on the same level as a Biese...strictly a matter of preference I suppose. I'd lean towards the 22124, GI, Grizzly, new version of the Jet Supersaw, or Deltas over the 746.

For what it's worth, Workbench rated the DW746 3rd out of 4 machines behind the 22124 and GI. The Grizzly, Delta, and new Jet were not available at that time though.

If your budget and electrical wiring allow, I think you'd be even further ahead with a full cabinet saw like the Griz or Shop Fox

Bob Marino
10-01-2006, 1:18 PM
I had the 746 and I agree with both Gene and John. In it's time, that and the Jet were the only 2 hybrids, but recent upgrades in the hybrids have made the 746 less competative. The feature I like the best in the 746, though was the slider. I am not sure if the others have it, but that me be another consideration.
Bob

John Piwaron
10-01-2006, 3:25 PM
Excellent points.

I'd forgotten that hybrid saws have been out for a while. Of course manufacturers other than Dewalt have their own stuff out now. This is an example of why it's good to be first to market with something.

Anyway, I'm checking into the other saws available.

Of course, the usual applies - power, dust, fence. All important, and more.