PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Rolls

Russ Massery
10-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Has anyone bought the "Ready to Cut" instead of the "Ready to Roll". For the Performax sanders? I wouldn't think it wouldn't be that big of a deal cutting them. The price differents is $4.75 vs $7.50 a Roll.

Tony Falotico
10-01-2006, 10:13 AM
No, I have not bought the rolls yet, but I did buy the Klingspoors 20lb bargain box a while back (before the Performax) and have been cutting my own from that. Not sure I would recommend the box route (It's a good deal but you end up with stuff you will never use), but my message is they are EASY to cut so I would not hesitate going with the rolls.

Brent Dowell
10-01-2006, 10:23 AM
When I got my performax, the price of the precut just seemed a little high, so I ended up buying several large rolls of sandpaper (I think from Klingspor).

I used an old piece of cedar fencing to make a template the same size and shape of one of the precuts I had. I just use a spring clamp to clamp one end of the sandpaper from the roll to the template, stretch it out, and then mark and cut the sandpaper. Works like a charm. I'll usually make a couple whenever I pull out the template.

Just make sure you mark which side of the template goes up, and which side to put the sandpaper on. The first one I tried to make had the taper going backwards, which really doesn't work so good. :rolleyes:

After that, I wrote the instructions on the template with a sharpie to make sure I didn't have any more mistakes...

Jim Becker
10-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I have not bought that way, but would consider it for a future purchase when I use up the pre-cut material I acquired when I bought my 22-44 Plus.

CPeter James
10-01-2006, 3:26 PM
I have used the "Read to cut" and it is a piece of cake to cut. It is pre marked in different colors where to cut it. It is the way to go. I have also bought and used bulk rolls that were from someone else. Less money, but more work. I am not sure that I would do that again. Go the Perfomax marked "Ready to cut" route.

CPeter

Charlie Plesums
10-01-2006, 10:31 PM
I bought a 50 yard (not 50 foot) roll from Sandpaper works (dot com) for about $55 postpaid and have been quite satisfied. That is far less than most places I have seen.

Cutting the strips is no big deal. The Performax directions give the diagonal distance across the strip... initially I said "that's useless," but have found it to be the best dimension when cutting.