PDA

View Full Version : Peace's Perfection Saw (Pics)

Ian Gillis
09-30-2006, 4:52 PM
Went to an auction today. There were 36 handsaws lined up sitting under a table ! I picked out a few saws with 'quality' looking handles. One was no-name, another was Warranted Superior, but the 3rd had a medallion I'd never seen. Long story short, I bought them and took them back home and hit Google to find out about Harvey W Peace and the Vulcan Saw Works.

I found a site right away - nice history of the man and his saw works in Brooklyn, NY.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/hwpeace/

Turns out what I bought is a panel saw (20"L, 6ppi) from Peace's Perfection line. It was made between 1883 and 1894 IIRC. The catalog reprint modestly reads:

Extra Refined London Spring Steel, Highly Polished Blade, Carved and Fully Polished Apple Handle, Patent shaped hand-piece, four Brass Improved Screws, one Embossed, Nickel Plated Re-Inforce Plate, Taper Ground, Thin Back, Warranted. Without exception the Finest Saw Manufactured.

WooHoo ! It's top of the line ! I picked up a fresh slim taper file on the way home and I'll be test driving my P70 by tomorrow at the latest.

After I bought my 3 saws the auctioneer sold the remaining 33 saws to one guy for less than $5 per saw. Who buys 33 saws ?? :confused:

Cheers

IG

Mike Wenzloff
09-30-2006, 7:10 PM
Wow, Ian, great find and, of course, you deserve a you suck!

The Peace saws are among my favorites, both the panel and backsaws. These Perection series saws [both panel and backed] really feel different in the hand, well balanced.

It looks in great shape. Consider offering Joshua from Hyperkitten some pictures.

Take care, Mike

Ian Gillis
09-30-2006, 7:29 PM
Consider offering Joshua from Hyperkitten some pictures.

Take care, Mike
Thanks, Mike and the offer of photos has already been made. Just waiting to hear back from Joshua.

IG