PDA

View Full Version : Flask

Daryl Barberousse
09-30-2006, 1:27 PM
I finally cracked the code with the Cermark. Thanks for the help guys.

Steve McKee
09-30-2006, 2:38 PM
Looks nice Daryl. I haven't attempted Cermark yet but I know the day is coming. Any tips you'd care to share?

Daryl Barberousse
09-30-2006, 9:49 PM
Steve, thanks for the compliment. Not sure that I have anything new to pass on regarding the cermark. I believe that mixing to the right consistancy is important (close to 1:1 ration...but waterlike) as well as applying it to the material. I used an airbrush and was very happy with the even coat that was applied. I fiddled with the speed (left the power at 100% @ 600dpi) and found that a speed between 10-20 worked best for me...the slower the speed, the fatter the line.

Everyone is right when they say this stuff sticks. I can imagine the only way to remove it is by using a sander or grinder.

David Sabot
09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
I finally cracked the code with the Cermark. Thanks for the help guys.

I tried engraving flasks like this and had a hell of a time. The arch caused only the top to be in focus and as the image engraved down the sides it became blurry. Any tips? Also how many watts is your machine?

Dave Chase
10-01-2006, 10:38 AM
The flask looks great Daryl. Just curious as to why you didn't try the spray can Cermark? Also, who is a good source for flasks such as the one shown?

Daryl Barberousse
10-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I tried engraving flasks like this and had a hell of a time. The arch caused only the top to be in focus and as the image engraved down the sides it became blurry. Any tips? Also how many watts is your machine?

David, I tried to keep the logo toward the center of the flask to prevent the image distortion. I have a Epilog Mini 35w.

Dave, I went with the cermark paste because I have an airbrush. And due to the cost of this "liquid gold", I have more control with the airbrush vice a spray can. I've had a couple dozen flasks stored for the last couple of years. I initially bought them to cover with leather. I can't remember where I purchased them.

David Sabot
10-01-2006, 5:21 PM
I get flasks similar from a company called Kingstar in California:

P.O. Box 7814
2461 W. 205th ST., Suite B102
Torrance, California 90501
Tel: 310-320-8082
Fax: 310-320-4532
http://www.kingstars.com/flask.htm

The model # is 825 (not shown on site) and I was paying $5.50 per piece.

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2006, 8:51 AM
The flask looks great Daryl. Just curious as to why you didn't try the spray can Cermark? Also, who is a good source for flasks such as the one shown?
I use the liquid in the bottle too. I heard that the spray can version gets
clogged up easily and also seems like you'd be wasting a lot more of it.

Michael McDuffie
10-02-2006, 7:42 PM
I've been through ten or fifteen spray cans of Cermark and yes, it does clog up regularly. The trick seems to be store it on its side and shake way longer than seems necessary. Also, rinse the nozzle completely when you are done.

I’ve also tried the air brush method using a cheap Testor’s external mix air brush. Don’t bother with the cans of propel, they will get cold and drop in pressure. Use an air brush compressor, or if you are like me and overkill is a good thing, use a 4HP 40 gallon compressor with a good regulator set to 30 PSI or so.

I have manual focus and set the focus at halfway around the curve if that makes sense. That way the high part will be a little close and the low part will be a little far rather than the low part being way to far out of focus.

Michael

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2006, 8:12 PM
Michael,

I had a guy ask about doing some silver plated flasks and I passed on it.
Just not that confident about cermark on a curved surface with something that valuable that could be ruined.

Daryl Barberousse
10-03-2006, 9:47 AM
I agree Joe, not alot of silver plated stuff I want to experiment with.

Barbara Sample
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I have also had good luck with stainless stell flasks with an airbrush and pate cermark.

I have had some problems with certain coated silver plated materials.
I too have gotten a little discouraged with this because I have a gift item sort of store and would like to keep carrying these items because they are very nice. Unfortunately I have ruined some of them, and am now carrying only the ones that I know work well.

As far as the focus, I do what the other person does and focus at the middle of the lowest part. If some of it doesn't engrave right, then I reapply the cermark, break the text apart and engrave only the selected text one at a time, and refocusing when necessary for that certain letter.

Barb

Daryl Barberousse
10-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Okay....here's the trick question....what would you price this as?:D

Steve Clarkson
06-06-2009, 8:15 PM
Does anyone have a source for LASER engravable flasks? Maybe with an anodized aluminum exterior? Something I don't need to use Cermark on.

Oh.....and it needs to be femine.....pink would be great!

Just had a thought.....what about a plain stainless steel flask with laserlights? Think that would work?

Tim Bateson
06-06-2009, 9:37 PM
Steve,

Let me know if you find any of those. If interested I found some leather bound flasks: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Kits/Beverage-Holder-Kits/44100-00.aspx?feature=Product_1

Richard Rumancik
06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
A&E ran an article on marking flasks in January 2008. The author's solution to the curvature problem was 2 applications/2 passes with different focus distance each time. I don't know how he fixtured the flask to allow removal and re-insertion and still get good registration.

Seems like it would be a bit expensive to go this route, however, as it doubles your material use and laser time.

To see the article go here
http://emags.nbm.com/ae/
and select January 2008.

Anthony Welch
06-06-2009, 11:10 PM
What's funny is that for 2 more ounces the price doubles.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Kits/Beverage-Holder-Kits/44100-02.aspx

Anthony

Allen Isakson
06-07-2009, 2:23 AM
walmart has flask like the one shown here for 3.88 stainless nice looking.

Frank Corker
06-07-2009, 6:22 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Clarkson;1150525]...Oh.....and it needs to be femine.....pink would be great!QUOTE]

I thought you already had your own flask Steve :D.

Seriously though, when I engrave hip flasks I always spray from a hobyist airbrush. I use a very thin solution of cermark and it is so thin that you can still see the silver shining through, but I get a great result each time. For the curveature on the flask I choose a midway point, slightly below the top of the flask and just above the lowest point of the engraving, the out of focus range is halved in both directions.

Just as a warning point, which some of you may not be aware of, the heat from the laser on some stainless steel (esp if it is thin) can cause a distortion in the metal. (The picture below doesn't have that it's just to show a flask that I did at Christmas)

Steve Clarkson
06-07-2009, 8:28 AM
Do you have a link for that? I searched Walmart.com for "Flask" and nothing came up.

Steve Clarkson
06-07-2009, 8:31 AM
[QUOTE=Frank Corker;1150757][QUOTE=Steve Clarkson;1150525]...Oh.....and it needs to be femine.....pink would be great!QUOTE]

QUOTE]

Gee, I've missed you Frank......

That's one beautiful flask you did there.

I was kinda hoping to avoid the whole Cermark process for awhile....but I may have to finally take the plunge.

Belinda Barfield
06-07-2009, 9:50 AM
Oh.....and it needs to be femine.....pink would be great!

New lady in your life Steve? We need details man, details! :D

I must be the exception here as I have only had success with the Cermark in the spray can or Cermark tape. As others have said though, I end up wasting a good bit of the spray. I don't use it very often and with the last can the only thing I can figure out is that the propellant "died". Tip wasn't clogged, just wouldn't spray. I can't achieve any kind of consistent results with the paste regardless of the mix ratio.

Around Christmas, when all of the liquor companies do the "gift pack" thing, Jack Daniels usually includes a stainless flask as the gift. I buy lots of those. :D The flasks mark very well with Cermark. Sorry, I don't have a pic. I do them for friends so never thought of taking a pic for my portfolio. Oh wait, that would be the portfolio I wish I had. :rolleyes:

Steve Clarkson
06-07-2009, 11:18 AM
New lady in your life Steve? We need details man, details! :D

Sadly.......no.

Neal Schlee
06-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Focus half way between the high and low points.

Here's a sample.

Neal

Larry Bratton
06-07-2009, 1:17 PM
I've been through ten or fifteen spray cans of Cermark and yes, it does clog up regularly. The trick seems to be store it on its side and shake way longer than seems necessary. Also, rinse the nozzle completely when you are done.

I’ve also tried the air brush method using a cheap Testor’s external mix air brush. Don’t bother with the cans of propel, they will get cold and drop in pressure. Use an air brush compressor, or if you are like me and overkill is a good thing, use a 4HP 40 gallon compressor with a good regulator set to 30 PSI or so.

I have manual focus and set the focus at halfway around the curve if that makes sense. That way the high part will be a little close and the low part will be a little far rather than the low part being way to far out of focus.

Michael
When finished, turn the can upside down and spray until no more comes out. This will clear the nozzel and prevent a clog.

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2009, 9:18 AM
I just had to share this. Do you, or someone in your shop, ever mention a less than favorite customer's name, and five minutes later that customer calls? I refer to this as "calling up the devil" and it happens around here all the time. While I was reading back through this thread I received a purchase order for 12 parts that will need to be marked with Cermark. Love the customer, less than thrilled since all I have on hand right now is paste, no spray. Sigh. At least I'll make enough money off of the job to buy another can. :)

Dee Gallo
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Clarkson;1150525]...Oh.....and it needs to be femine.....pink would be great!QUOTE]

Seriously though, when I engrave hip flasks I always spray from a hobyist airbrush. I use a very thin solution of cermark and it is so thin that you can still see the silver shining through, but I get a great result each time. For the curveature on the flask I choose a midway point, slightly below the top of the flask and just above the lowest point of the engraving, the out of focus range is halved in both directions.

Just as a warning point, which some of you may not be aware of, the heat from the laser on some stainless steel (esp if it is thin) can cause a distortion in the metal. (The picture below doesn't have that it's just to show a flask that I did at Christmas)

Tsk, tsk, Frank.... what's with the apostrophe in "lot's" ???

Paul Brinkmeyer
06-09-2009, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Steve
Just as a warning point, which some of you may not be aware of, the heat from the laser on some stainless steel (esp if it is thin) can cause a distortion in the metal.

Just a thought, has anyone tried to fill the flask to see if it makes the distortion go away?
I might have to order one in and fill it with schnapps to test this if no one has tested it yet. Of course I would have to drain the flask when done and before I give it to the customer.

Frank Corker
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=Frank Corker;1150757]

Tsk, tsk, Frank.... what's with the apostrophe in "lot's" ???

Tsk, tsk Dee, I never used 'lot's', the only use of the word 'lots' was posted by Belinda and without the apostrophe. Besides, why are you using so many commas and question marks?

Dee Gallo
06-09-2009, 1:20 PM
[QUOTE=Dee Gallo;1152328]

Tsk, tsk Dee, I never used 'lot's', the only use of the word 'lots' was posted by Belinda and without the apostrophe. Besides, why are you using so many commas and question marks?

I was referring to the Lot's of Love on your flask picture. The extra punctuation was because you hate them... just for fun, in other words.

Tom Delaney
06-09-2009, 1:28 PM
I bought a half dozen of flasks that look just like that at WallyWorld about two months ago - two bucks a piece. Couldn't pass that up. they were sitting right next to the cashier so no idea where they might move them (if they kept them in stock!). Stainless steel - and the first came out really nice (I even put a family crest on the concave side - tougher). The second sucked.

One thing about Ceremark - USE A JIG so you can get it back EXACTLY where you had it - if the first shot doesn't work but it does leave a slight mark (which my second did) and you can't duplicate the exact placement.... you be outta luck!

Bill Cunningham
06-09-2009, 9:16 PM
A customer sent me this one to have the picture put on it, I wish the pic had been a little better contrast, but ya gotta work with what you have.. All things considered it came out pretty good.. Don't know where she got it, but it was made in China (what isn't now-a-days) and had no clear coat.. The gentleman in the pic had recently passed away, and this was to symbolize his place at his daughters wedding in Scotland, it was the first family function he had ever missed.. It's always nice to know the stories behind future family heirlooms ..

Frank Corker
06-10-2009, 6:29 AM
Nice job there Bill

Belinda Barfield
06-10-2009, 8:00 AM
Just a thought, has anyone tried to fill the flask to see if it makes the distortion go away?
I might have to order one in and fill it with schnapps to test this if no one has tested it yet. Of course I would have to drain the flask when done and before I give it to the customer.

Paul, I haven't tried the pre-fill test but I did test to make sure marking the flask didn't cause any leaks. :D