PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your Jet/Wynn/Oneida/other flex hose?

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi all! The plugs are in my wife's van, and it still runs!!:D So now I'm getting down to business for the weekend. I need flex hose, some 6" and some 4". I plan on using the 4" to the BS and to the future overhead dust pickup guard for the TS. The latter I will reduce at the guard, or if I build one, make it a wide guard and use the 4" directly to it, or split and run 2 smaller hoses to a narrower one.

I see Tool King has the Jet brand on sale: 10' of 6'" for 49.99, and 10' of 4" for 37.99. Total shipping is 7.99 and if purchased through shop.com. they will automatically rebate the shipping in about 4-6 weeks. Has anyone seen a better price? Better hose for the same price? Better hose at a little higher price? I looked at the hose at Wynn, and Oneida. Oneida would be about 10.00 higher plus shipping, Wynn would be about 8.00 more plus shipping. I like the Wynn hose cross section picture they show. I'm waiting for thm to email me a shipping price. The Tool King price ends Monday.

Has anyone seen any combination of these hoses and have an opinion about which one looked smoother on the inside, better construction for longer wear, or have first hand knowledge of how these are constructed and wear?

TIA!! Hope you are having a good weekend. Now send me a note and get back to making chips!!:D :D Jim.

Update question: Have any of you heard of HoseCraft USA? They have a rubber hose that is supposed to be smoother on the inside that is CHEAP!! 77cents per foot cheap. supposed to have some antistatic qualities to it even. 10' weights over 28 lbs for shipping! Hmmmmm. Jim.

Jim Becker
09-30-2006, 1:20 PM
I have both the Oneida and Jet hose in my shop. (The latter is 4"...the rest is 5") I'm happy with both. While I haven't examined them closely, they seem reasonably smooth on the interior. I only use short lengths, anyway, with the exception of my "universal" hose used for the drum sander and other tools from ceiling mounted drops.

Steve Rowe
09-30-2006, 1:33 PM
Jim,
You may want to check out Woodworkers Supply. They have a good selection of various size hoses that are reasonably smooth and from what I remember, a better price than what you quoted. They have held up well in my shop.
Steve

glenn bradley
09-30-2006, 3:48 PM
I'm glad you brought this up. The hose that came with my Delta DC is reasonably smooth on the inside when compared to my other flex hose. Of course the best bend radius I can get out of the Delta is about 8" but I don't want it that tight anyway. The flexible flex hose that I do tolerate is impacting my CFM, no doubt but for my shop layout it provides some flexibility (no pun intended) that I like so I live with it for that purpose which is occasional. I'll be interested to hear about your decision and your comments on the product you choose.

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2006, 5:10 PM
Thanks Jim. I knew you had those two and hoped you would comment.
Steve, I looked at Woodworkers Supply. they do have a better price on the hose. I didn't look at shipping prices. I'll have to go back and do that in a minute. How smooth is the inside of this flex hose? I know this will be a very subjective answer, and hard to equate it to something else that you haven't seen. All I have seen is on line, the cut away view on Wynn's site, and the line art drawing on other sites. If you could let me know if you think it is fairly smooth for flex, or not, in your guestimation, I'd be happy with that!
Glen, I'll try to repost here when I get an order in.
Thanks again! And I still welcome other's views. Jim.

Steve Rowe
09-30-2006, 5:48 PM
Jim - I currently use four types of hoses in my shop and have previously used others that I have eliminated because of lack of flexibility, tendency to kink and/or interior surface roughness. I took my calibrated index finger and measured the interior smoothness of what I currently have. The smoothness ratings best to worse are:
1) Flexhaust R-3 Blue PVC hose
2) Flexhaust R-4 clear PVC hose (this is product from Woodworkers Supply)
3) Flexhaust T-7 (only slightly rougher than the R-4)
4) Grizzly something or other. This is not wire reinforced and has a lot of high ridges. I will replace eventually.

The T-7 hose is something that Woodcraft sells as their heavy duty dust collection hose and is very durable. I will note that the Woodworkers Supply hose is more flexible than the other Flexhaust hoses. The blue R-3 hose is very durable and is very stiff. I have been happy with the smoothness of all the Flexhaust hoses in relation to all the brands that I have previously used.

BTW - my index finger is not traceable to any known calibration standard.:)
Steve

Cecil Arnold
09-30-2006, 6:00 PM
Jim,

Have you checked the prices at McMaster Carr? They have a "Blue" and "Clear" hose listed and note that the clear is FDA approved for food service. Their listings also give you information on the "hg. the hose is rated for.

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2006, 6:46 PM
Steve, that is PERFECT!!!:D :D Thanks for the information, and the chuckle!
Cecil, I did check McMaster-Carr and saw the same hose. But isn't it in quantities of 25'? Way more than I will need for the whole shop.

I have been looking at other sources, and Amazon has the same Jet hose for about 1/3 less than Tool King's sale price, with shipping factored in, and the shipping price is over double! I'm about that far from going ahead and pulling the trigger on it. It actually comes from another company, not from the Zon, so that is why the shipping is pricey. Thanks again guys! Jim.

edit:oops I had the wrong Jet 4" hose. I had selected the black 4" and the clear 6". Amazon price still about 14.00 cheaper than Tool Kings price. That makes the Woodworkers price a better buy. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Cecil, i went back and looked at McMaster-Carr again, and I was remembering wrong. They come in 5' sections up to 25'. You have to order in increments of 5'. but unless I'm looking at the wrong stuff, it looks like it is about 10.00 a foot!!:eek: If I'm looking at the wrong hose, please PM me a web page address so I can go back and look again. I am going to order some more fittings from them about the same time I order the hose. If their price is competitive, maybe I can save some on the shipping. Thanks! Jim.

Brad Olson
09-30-2006, 11:04 PM
I hate the Jet hose, but really like the Wynn hose.

The wynn hose is smooth and tough and doesn't kill airflow too bad

Russ Massery
10-01-2006, 8:59 AM
Jim, I like the hose from Wynn. I bought some 6" when I got my filters for my Clearview. Also I recommed the Bridge style clamps for the hose itself. I don't know if you saw them but the clamp bridges over the wire in the hose. Giving you a much better seal.

Jim O'Dell
10-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Just to let everyone know, I did order the flex from Woodworkers Supply. I got it in last Thursday. I haven't tried to use any yet, but did inspect it against the flex that came on the cone of my Clear Vue. I think the WS hose is heavier, and maybe a little smoother inside, but is very close. May have less wire in it allowing it to stretch out smoother.

Russ, I did see the bridge clamps. Couldn't justify the price. ($5.75 each)So I made one as a prototype. See: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14427&page=3&highlight=coolmeadow
post # 68. The clamp cost me a buck 50 and the bridge was some scrap metal. Four short 1/8" rivots and 4 washers, and there it is. I think my bridge is too tall. I'll make the next one a little shorter. Jim.

Hugh Jaskok
10-10-2006, 12:54 AM
I use the Jet flex hose. The only problem is that it's not very flexible. The way my shop is set up I have to move the hose from machine to machine so I have one of those friction fit quick connectors. Sometimes the angle of the hose won't allow the connector to stay on the machine because of how stiff it is. I have seen the clear hose that Rockler sells and it seems to much more flexible.

John Renzetti
10-10-2006, 5:55 AM
Cecil, i went back and looked at McMaster-Carr again, and I was remembering wrong. They come in 5' sections up to 25'. You have to order in increments of 5'. but unless I'm looking at the wrong stuff, it looks like it is about 10.00 a foot!!:eek: If I'm looking at the wrong hose, please PM me a web page address so I can go back and look again. I am going to order some more fittings from them about the same time I order the hose. If their price is competitive, maybe I can save some on the shipping. Thanks! Jim.

Hi Jim, The hose I get from McMaster is their Rubber Tuff Clear View Thermoplastic Urethane Hose (TPU). Real strong stuff-some of it I've been using for close to 8 yrs. The part number for the 6" size is 5136K28. Sad to say it is close to $10/ft. Also just got a couple of those bridge clamps that were mentioned. They are better than the standard ones.
take care,
John

Dave Harker
10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
I am very happy with the clear 6" flex hose I got from Grizzly a few years ago.

Mike Weaver
10-10-2006, 1:12 PM
I'm quite pleased with the 6" clear hose I got from Wynn when I bought the filters for my pentz cyclone.

My wife nearly made me post a warning on my shop door that small children & pets need to beware of the suction, even through 25' of 6" flex hose. :eek:

-Mike