PDA

View Full Version : What to do while in Dallas?

David Sophusson
10-15-2003, 1:04 PM
Becky and I will be flying in next Thursday a week from now and leaving on Sunday. So not a whole lot of time to do much in. Any ideas on what high points we should try to consider? So far all Becky has been able to come up with is that it’s flat and they like their bass fishing. :-)

Sophie, who is going to a BBQ!!!

Steve Nelson
10-15-2003, 1:33 PM
Sophie, what type of things are you looking to do while here? Dallas is pretty diversified about anything you want to do is available here. Looking forward to the Bar-b-q......Steve

Tom Scott
10-15-2003, 1:39 PM
Dallas also has one of, if not the, highest number of shopping malls per capita. :o
Honestly though, Dallas is more of a convention city than a tourist attraction. There just aren't that many attractions...some nice places to visit and good restaurants, but not that many attractions. The JFk museum and Dallas Museum of Art is not bad. Both are downtown.
Fort Worth has several nice museums (better than D) as well as the stock yards.
Oh yeah, there's also Woodcraft.

Tom

Wes Bischel
10-15-2003, 2:02 PM
Then again, there is also senic Venus Texas just SW of Dallas (and Midlothian). That's where my Great Grandparents had their farm. :D

OBTW I've never been there but I've heard stories about it!

Wes

Bob_Hammond
10-15-2003, 2:29 PM
As noted above there is plenty of shopping. Along with the 2 Woodcrafts, there are also 2 new Rockler's in town.

Bob

Tom Scott
10-15-2003, 4:57 PM
Then again, there is also senic Venus Texas just SW of Dallas (and Midlothian). That's where my Great Grandparents had their farm. :D

OBTW I've never been there but I've heard stories about it!

Wes

Wes,
To keep you posted on all the big news in Venus for the past 10 years or so, they have a new gas station on Hwy 67. Yep, that about does it.

Tom

Martin Shupe
10-15-2003, 11:03 PM
I offer the following, not necessarily in order of preference:

1. Go to Mike Mastin's Curly Woods...he just moved his store to the new location in McKinney, north of Dallas. I bought some Texas ebony from him this morning. Now I have to book another turning lesson with "Five Barns" Grumbine, so I can learn how to make Shaker drawer knobs.

2. I believe the traveling September 11th exhibit is on display at the Fort Worth Museum of Science (and History?) (I think that is the name of the museum) my wife says to take the Montgomery exit North off of I-30 in Ft. Worth. It is located right next to the Cowgirl Hall of Fame. I am told that it is very moving, and to bring a box of tissues. They also have an IMAX theater there.

3. I don't watch hockey, but I think the season has started for the Dallas Stars.

4. If you like BBQ, find a Spring Creek BBQ restaurant. They are a local chain, and there are plenty around. Get the pork rib dinner, and say yes when they ask if you want the special sauce. It is sweeter than the regular sauce. Then watch out for the cute gals that bring around the hot bread and be sure to get some of that to dip in your sauce. The cole slaw and beans are also good, and you can get an adult beverage or tea as you like.

5. I think 6 Flags over Texas will be open for Halloween, if you like amusement parks.

6. Gilley's just reopened in Dallas if you like country western dancing.

7. The stockyards in Ft. Worth has a C & W club call "Billy Bobs", I saw Jerry Jeff Walker there once.

8. If you want to stay close to Dallas, try the "West End", near the JFK museum and Texas Book Depository.

9. Go to the top of reunion tower.

10. Go to Fossil Rim Wild animal park near Glen Rose.

I would invite you to my place, but I have to work that weekend. I am bummed. :(

David Sophusson
10-16-2003, 5:14 PM
Lots of good suggestions! We won’t be getting into Dallas until a little after four in the afternoon Thursday so that will leave us with little time to roam around but you’ve given us some high points to shoot for. Thank you all very much!

Sophie wondering who in the heck ordered all this rain today!!

Phil Phelps
10-17-2003, 5:04 PM
....if you have money :D I bet Becky can find something at Neiman-Marcus in downtown Dallas. Sophie, you're entering the "Metroplex" with about 4 million people. Counting the ones that don't have green cards, figure on 6 million. You play golf ?? See ya' at Steve's.