PDA

View Full Version : ot-using woodworking tool anyway

fred woltersdorf
09-30-2006, 7:48 AM
i have to cut a 10ft length of 1" pvc pipe lengthwise.i'm going to use my bandsaw but i'm trying to figure out how to do this without the pipe sprialing.i can't come up with a jig.i thought about hot glueing a 1x1 to the side and then sawing.any others ideas?thanks fred.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-30-2006, 8:41 AM
I use any thing hand yfor PVC
I have used with great success:hack saws, table saws, conventional carpenter's hand saws, You name if it's a saw it'll cut the stuff.

Prevent the thing from spnning by holding it tightly and not feeding the first bit too fast and don't use a band with one tooth per inch.

Paul Libby
09-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Make a jig that you can settle the pipe in, that has a splitter behind the blade to keep the cut pipe indexed.

glenn bradley
09-30-2006, 11:37 AM
V block jig with an old piece of hacksaw blade built in right behind the BS blade as a splitter/stabilizer. Works fine.

Jim W. White
09-30-2006, 12:05 PM
I've done this before clamping it to the face of a 2x4 and running the 2x across the fence on the bandsaw. Worked just fine.

Jim Becker
09-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Hot gluing a board as you suggest will do two things for you...keep the piece in the same orientation through the "rip" and also stabilize it on the saw table during the cut.

Ben Grunow
09-30-2006, 8:57 PM
There was a post about just this several months ago. Any reason not to just snap a chalk line and ripwith CS by eye?