PDA

View Full Version : Most Transparent Glue For Clear Acrylic ?

Al Mutairi
09-30-2006, 4:19 AM
I am searching for the Most Transparent Glue For Clear Acrylic.
I have heard of UV type glues that are absolutly transparent.

Any one to direct me in the right path, sources , websites , reading material?

Thanks ,

Al

Mike Null
09-30-2006, 6:35 AM
Weld-On 4 is the best I've found. It is a solvent cement in that it literally melts the surfaces together. It is a little hard to use and doesn't like high humidity. It requires that one surface be a little rough--something like you would get with 600 grit sp. If you put two polished edges together you'll get bubbles.

Be sure of your placement and don't starve the joint. Use a syringe type applicator.

I am now about 80% successful in getting a clear, invisible joint on the acrylic awards I engrave. Sometimes I can re-set and re-glue, sometimes I have to scrap it.

You'll probably have to buy this at a plastic shop so ask them to show you how to do it.

Rodne Gold
09-30-2006, 9:45 AM
Use a 2 part Tensol , it fills gaps and creates a totally clear bond of high strength , its meant for joining acrylics. You must check whether its cast or extruded acrylic as you would need different for extruded. The secret to getting a totally transparent joint is to use a glue with a refractive index near to acrylic that fills all gaps , thin solvents wont do this and their bond strength is not good at all .
UV doesnt work as a lot of pexes are not uv transmitters and in fact block UV , unlike glass where its used extensively.
Be VERY careful of solvent glues if you laser cut or thermo bend the pex or is has been machined and flame polished , the solvents will promote stress cracking , dont use stuff like Cholorform or the watery type capilliary glues. Lasering is real bad for pex in eterms of stressing it and if the pex is extruded its far worse.