PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Resaw?

Rob Will
09-30-2006, 2:09 AM
So what happens if you have an "old arn" direct drive bandsaw that operates at 8000 sfpm and you want to set it up to resaw some wide slabs for veneering?

First, I plan to use a Woodmizer to cut the logs (mostly crotches) into 2.5" slabs. Then after drying...... use the jointer to face joint the slabs before resawing.

Can a high speed saw be used for resawing?

What are some things to watch for?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Rob

Brad Olson
09-30-2006, 2:35 AM
Must be a 20-36" saw?

Not a problem resawing at high speed, in fact your cut should be pretty smooth. This is the big advantage of the big saws is that they can sling a blade really fast without the blade slipping or breaking.

As long as you have 2-4 TPI your cuts will be real nice.

Rob Will
09-30-2006, 9:21 AM
Must be a 20-36" saw?

Not a problem resawing at high speed, in fact your cut should be pretty smooth. This is the big advantage of the big saws is that they can sling a blade really fast without the blade slipping or breaking.

As long as you have 2-4 TPI your cuts will be real nice.

Brad, It is a Moak 36 with the 900 rpm motor.
Can you point me toward a good source for bandsaw blades?
What is the best blade width to use for deep resawing?
I believe the saw has 2" wide wheels.

Thanks,
Rob

Robert Mickley
09-30-2006, 9:32 AM
Try Suffolk industries, maker of the Timberwolf. They make up custom length and are pretty knowladable about band blades.

I used to by my sawmill blades from them when I first started out. They left a very nice finish. I use woodmizer blades know simpley because of their resharp service.

Brad Olson
09-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Like mentioned above, suffolk makes some great inexpensive blades.

They should be able to help you pick the proper blade you need.

Also Suffolk perpetually runs a sale called 4 for 3, which means if you buy 4 blades, you get one of them for free.

If you plan to do a lot of resawing I'd get a carbide tipped blade.

Laguna tools makes a really nice carbide tipped blade, the resaw king. Also lennox sells the trimaster which is a close second.

Be prepared as carbide tipped blades will set you back about $200 for that saw.

A regular blade will be closer to $30 for your saw.

lou sansone
09-30-2006, 1:48 PM
rob
it is my understanding that many of the higher speed 36" machines were used just for that exact purpose with power feeders on them. you should have no trouble. I would think a 1.25" 3/4" pitch would be about right. call suffock and they will make some recommendations
best wishes
lou