PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Pencils ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
10-15-2003, 10:29 AM
A lady who took one of my cards at the Beaverdam Heritage Day called me yesterday and asked if I could do a couple of sets for her to give as Christmas gifts. She wanted Mahogany for her son and when she saw the Pink Ivory pen I had displayed, she says she "fell in love with it" and wanted a set for her daughter. I explained the added cost of doing the Pink Ivory, especially in a set form. She didn't hesitate at the price and asked me to make them up. She came by this morning and picked them up and was extremely pleased. I really enjoy the look of a satisfied customer. She says she'll send a lot of her friends my way, so I guess I'd better get a stock on hand. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.

Lee Schierer
10-15-2003, 11:19 AM
What is pink ivory? DOes it come from pink elelphants? I thought trade in ivory was illegal in any form.

Just call me curious.

Mike Evertsen
10-15-2003, 12:42 PM
What is pink ivory? DOes it come from pink elelphants? I thought trade in ivory was illegal in any form.

Just call me curious.

I have seen pink elephants they do have pink tusks and the blue ones have blue ect.
great looking pens,,,maybe I have to make a trip to woodcraft when they have a pen turning class you guys that turn do a great job,,,,,

10-15-2003, 2:15 PM
is found, from what I've read up on it, in and around Mozambique, Africa. It is supposed to be considered the sacred tree of the Zulu chieftens to make their spears out of. My understanding is that it is, or is one of, the rarest woods in the world. It's very hard and turnes wonderfully. The polish you can get on it is fantastic, not that I've done it any justice. I do have some elephant ivory I've turned, and it's all pre-ban and I have all the certificates dated. They sure make an expensive pen, but if you want a one-of-a-kind, it works. I've layed some ebony with ivory slabs in between for a nice look, also. The combinations are endless.

Doug Jones
10-15-2003, 3:30 PM
Ron,
Pink elephants, pink trees, pink panther. It doesn't matter where it came from, you did a fantastic job. Being new to turning, all aspects of the hobby interest me and your pens strike an interest.
Great work, Doug

Scott Greaves
10-15-2003, 3:38 PM
Hey Ron,

Again, nice pens!!!

I really do like the look of that pink ivory! (Pink elephants - LOL!) So are these actual pen and pencil sets? I hardly ever do pencils. If I do a set, I usually make it a set of one fountain pen and one rollerball.

Anyway, great job! And please keep posting pictures of your pens - I love to see other people's pens!

Scott.

10-15-2003, 6:53 PM
Hey Ron,

So are these actual pen and pencil sets? I hardly ever do pencils. If I do a set, I usually make it a set of one fountain pen and one rollerball.

Scott.

Scott, I have only done the European and Slimline kits so far ... I haven't been adventurous enough to do any others. I like to make the pen and pencils out of the same wood and sell them as sets. Some people like both of them, some only the pens, some pencils. I like doing both, since the turning is exactly the same. I'm anxious to branch out and try different kits soon. Thanks for the compliments.
On a side note, how did the Pens For Friends go a few months back? I'd mailed six ebony slimlines with the black enamel finish as a donation, but hadn't heard how the judging or presentations went. I'd like to keep up with your projects and help any way I can. I appreciate good causes like that. Thanks again.

Julie Wright
10-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Love your Pens
Now I guess I'll have to go out and buy some pink ivory

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
10-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi,

Great looking pens, I like the look of the pink ones, not sure about the elephants take on that though!

take care,
Jim

Scott Greaves
10-17-2003, 7:08 PM
On a side note, how did the Pens For Friends go a few months back? I'd mailed six ebony slimlines with the black enamel finish as a donation, but hadn't heard how the judging or presentations went. I'd like to keep up with your projects and help any way I can. I appreciate good causes like that. Thanks again.

Hey Ron!

Here's the page that shows the results:

http://myweb.cableone.net/swedg1/pff/pff.htm

The problem is, I never got your pens!!! What a bummer! We had a great time with the Sheriff's office doing the judging, and they loved the pens. We are just finishing doing a PFF honoring Wildland Firefighters. I'll make sure to post the PFF announcements here in the future. Man, I'm bummed about not getting your pens! :(

Scott.