PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum, Need Some Advice

Dave Hale
09-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Been lurking for a couple of months. Love the site and the helpful advice from all. When I get a little more time, I'll take some pictures and show all my shop and some projects. I definitely am not along to the level as most of the members here, but I do enjoy the activity. :)

Need some advice for 2 little projects I have to complete by next weekend before traveling to deliver the 'goods'.

First problem: Pine Franklin Chair. Making it for the Maternal Unit since she accused me of 'stealing' (6 years ago) the little ol' stool I made in 8th grade wood class. I'm 45 now. :) Natural stain, Poly on top of it. I've noticed an area on the seat that got a little too much sanding (got into a zone....). Is it OK to sand off the Poly, reapply the stain and then the Poly?

Second problem: Another Stool. Very simple design. 3/8" finger joints 3/4" deep marrying the legs and top. (Incra Jig is awesome!) This is Pine again, plan from a 'Working with Pine' book I got. The joints are VERY snug. I have to 'heel' (with my hand) it into place. No light gaps at all. My concern is that the glue-up process will make the joints swell too much and bust the pine apart. Should it be this snug or do I need to 'gap' the finger joints a little bit?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

glenn bradley
09-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Earth to Don.

Don Baer
09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Earth to Don.

Thanks Glenn, I needed someone to bring me back..:o :o :o

Robert E Lee
09-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Dave, welcome into the creek. If can sand it even and restain and it should be ok. The glue should not swell it enough to hurt anything.
Bob

Dan Oliphant
09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Dave, welcome to the creek.
Sanding off the poly and stain will not interfer with recoating the piece, just make sure all of the poly and stain is removed. Do this by wiping denatured alcohol over the surface with a clean rag. View the surface from several directions and with good light. I am recommending alcohol, because the pine will soak up a lot of solvent quickly and the alcohol will dry off fairly quick (not as quick as it was drawn in though) allow the wood to completly dry before restaining.

Dave Hale
09-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Bob & Dan,

Thanks for the quick replies. Thought I was safe, thanks for confirming it.

Robert Waddell
09-30-2006, 3:30 AM
Dave I would make sure to loosen up the finger joints just a bit so as to have room for some glue. Maybe just enough so that they slip together without force. I don't think swelling and cracking is an issue.
Rob

Jay Knoll
09-30-2006, 6:23 AM
Welcome to the Creek Dave, send us some pics when the projects are complete!

Jay