PDA

View Full Version : Sander

Richard Jones
09-29-2006, 6:30 PM
Going to try the power sanding route, as I did it with my 5" Makita on the outside of a bowl and LOVED it..............hard to get that on the inside, so am thinking of a 2" hook-n-loop in a right angle drill, at least to start with. Not averse to spending $$ on the Sioux, et al, just thought I would give this a whack first.

Any thoughts on holders or paper or drill speeds?

Many thanks.

Rich in VA

Travis Stinson
09-29-2006, 6:45 PM
Richard, the best hook and loop holders are the Pro Velcro disc holders. I can usually get a year out of one before it's worn out. I got mine from Packards.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=snding-bholdext-provd

The best value on sandpaper is from Industrial Abrasives with their 1 meter x 36" sheets. You can cut your own 2" discs from them. It's a little over $100 for all the grits from 80 to 600, but it doesn't take long to realize a big savings by using them. I ordered the full set almost 1 1/2 years ago and have not used even half of the sheets.
http://commerce.riverweb.com:8002/01713.html

Frank Kobilsek
10-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Rich
Before you run out a buy a Sioux, just ues whatever corded or cordless drill you havein your shop. Reverse is good to have so that might limit your choice of on hand tools. I used my Dewalt cordless for a long time. Just last month I bought a $30 Harbor Frieght close quarters drill. Its noisy and I don't expect it to last a long time but the pricey is right and I might be surprized. But yes, power sanding with hook and loop disks is the ticket.

Frank

Reed Gray
10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Any drill will work on smaller bowls, but when you start getting into bigger and deeper bowls (6 inches deep and 12 or more wide) then the handles of the standard and right angle drills can get in the way on the inside of the bowl. This is where the angle drills come in handy.
You want to get a mandril, and I prefer a soft pad on the mandril. The idea here is that the mandril costs $10 plus, and the pads are about $3 to $4. It is cheaper to replace the pad than the mandril.
There is a cheap $30 drill out there, and I got about 1 month out of it before it wore out. The Sioux/Milwaukee (both are made by Sioux and are clones) cost about $130 to $160 (Best prices I have seen are through Coastal Tool, I think you can google the address). I get about 6 months out of these drills before they need bearing replacement. I do abuse my tools, and most other people get a year or 3 out of them. I prefer the slow speed models. Sanding at faster speeds (both on the drill, and on the lathe) don't seem to speed up the sanding time, and the sandpaper wears out faster, and you get more heat on the wood which causes burning marks and micro cracks.
As far as discs go, I used the red aluminum oxide discs. I would order rolls from Klingspoor, and would cut out my own discs at 3 1/8 inch with a piece of 3 inch inside diameter pipe that was reamed out slightly, has big bevel on outside, and small bevel on the inside. You can use a arbor press, or sledge and wood block on cutter with a plastic cutting board under. I cheat and have a clicker (small hydraulic) press available to me. Now, I have discovered a new disc available from VincesWoodnWonders. It is a film and not a paper. The price is in the range of $10 per 50 discs, and the large discs are cut at 3 3/8 inch. I prefer over size discs because they overlap the edge of the mandril, and the hooks won't scratch your work. He also has grits up to 2000. Initial results seem to show that his discs last a lot longer than what I am used to. I sanded out a 14 and 12 inch bowl with one set of discs, and they still had more left in them. With the other discs, I get one large bowl, but seldom a second bowl. His discs also have micro hook pads. I think these work better also.
You will also want one or more of the crepe sticks (I call them eraser sticks) to clean the discs. They do help extend the life of the discs a bit.
robo hippy

Ron Chamberlin
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM
t. Now, I have discovered a new disc available from VincesWoodnWonders. It is a film and not a paper. The price is in the range of $10 per 50 discs, and the large discs are cut at 3 3/8 inch. I prefer over size discs because they overlap the edge of the mandril, and the hooks won't scratch your work. He also has grits up to 2000. Initial results seem to show that his discs last a lot longer than what I am used to. I sanded out a 14 and 12 inch bowl with one set of discs, and they still had more left in them. With the other discs, I get one large bowl, but seldom a second bowl. His discs also have micro hook pads. I think these work better also.
You will also want one or more of the crepe sticks (I call them eraser sticks) to clean the discs. They do help extend the life of the discs a bit.
robo hippy

Amen to that. I use Vince's disks and am very well satisfied. I recommend them.The eraser stick does help also.

Daniel Heine
10-02-2006, 2:54 PM
Hello,

Another option yu might want to consider is a Foredom Rotary tool like the 5240 kit. Reversible, and has sanding tools that will go into the tightest spaces. It also will accept 1/4" shanks, so all of the hook and loop types should attach with no problem.

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

Richard Jones
10-03-2006, 7:11 AM
Managed to get a 2" pad/holder and some discs, just mounted them in my drill. Sure is nice.............. Now I need to order some sheets and make a cutter.

Thanks to all for all of your help.

Rich in VA