PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Surgery Successful

Vaughn McMillan
09-29-2006, 5:00 PM
Some may recall the drive belt on my Craftsman lathe broke a week or so ago. Well, the belt arrived yesterday, and I managed to get it installed last night. It took a while to figure out what to disassemble and how, but in the end it was pretty painless. The new installation passed inspection by allowing me to complete roughing out the bowl that I was working on when the original belt broke.

I didn't take any pics (greasy hands and cameras are not a good mix IMO), but if anyone needs advice on replacing the drive belt (not the bigger Reeves belt) on the 15" Craftsman (and Palmgren) lathes like this one (http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00921715000), just let me know.

Keith Burns
09-29-2006, 5:02 PM
Glad you got her fixed Vaughn !!!! Now you have no excuses:D

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2006, 1:31 AM
Glad you got her up and running Vaughn. Now get busy.:D

Don Baer
09-30-2006, 1:35 AM
Vaughn,
Glad you got er done.

George Conklin
09-30-2006, 1:46 PM
I didn't take any pics (greasy hands and cameras are not a good mix IMO).

Ahhh,,, the old "greasy hands and cameras are not a good mix" excuse. (Done in my best 'Maxwell Smart' voice).

I'm gonna have to run this one by Tyler;) .

Vaughn McMillan
09-30-2006, 3:12 PM
Ahhh,,, the old "greasy hands and cameras are not a good mix" excuse. (Done in my best 'Maxwell Smart' voice).

I'm gonna have to run this one by Tyler;) .
Fortunately, Tyler's got his hands full with moving and all that, so I'll bet this one will slip under the radar. Just to be safe though, any further discussions about my lack of pics shall take place under the Cone of Silence. :cool: :p

And for you guys who said "get busy", I have. I've got two roughs in the DNA now, with one or two more to follow this weekend. I'm getting a chance to play with my new PSI (Benjamin's Best) bowl chisel set (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcbt4.html). Seems to be a nice improvement over the HF set that I started with (expecially on the inside of the bowl).

Mark Pruitt
09-30-2006, 3:21 PM
Glad to hear that the belt insertion procedure was successful, with no loss of blood.;) Sounds like rehab is also proceeding with no post-op complications.

Gary DeWitt
09-30-2006, 8:10 PM
Cool new set of toys, er, tools! Glad you're enjoying them.

Corey Hallagan
09-30-2006, 9:02 PM
Glad your up and running again Vaughn!

Corey