PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Friday September 29th, 2006

Overcast and cool here with rain on the way. Yuck! The leaves have really started to change here. We're just waiting for that first hard frost.

Still not back in the shop, although I may try this weekend and see how the pinky finger does. I'm really antsy to make some sawdust. Until then I'm baking. Yeah, baking. I'm making use of the apples from our tree. Already made two pies and have about 3-4 more to make, so that'll keep me busy for a day or so. Have to take time Sunday for the Kansas race and the Pack.

How about your weekend? What kind of projects are on the agenda? Whatever they may be let us know. Most of all enjoy the time and as always "BE SAFE"!!

Karl

Al Willits
09-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Other than cleaning the garage...:)
Sat we're off to look a windows for the kitchen, and maybe I'll sneak up north a bit to a mud boggin' meet, otherwise Sat cleaning and building stuff for garage, Sunday is golf in the morning, then prob garage in the afternoon again, trying to get set up to make cabinets and clean at the same time...not sure if I'm winning or not...:)

Al

Jim O'Dell
09-29-2006, 1:17 PM
Karl, I like ice cream on my apple pie!:D
I have to tune the wife's van up this weekend. That will take most of Sat. am. Built a quick jig for cutting PVC pipe last night. Need to see if it will actually work!! :eek:
I played with shop wiring yesterday afternoon for a bit. Jury rigged power to the panel and checked the flourescent lighting. I had already checked all the 110 outlets. Man those lights are bright! I think I made a good choice on bulbs and the reflectors I built. Need to tidy up a few things and get the power turned on next week. And the best thing??????? NO SMOKE!!!:cool:
It's beautiful weather today, will be hot, mid 90's, over the weekend. Jim.

JayStPeter
09-29-2006, 1:28 PM
Hopefully I'll get back to work on my workbench base. I finished gluing my parts up from 8/4 to 3.5" last night. Maybe I'll have some things that look like legs by Monday.
This weekend is also the official start of my basement finishing project. I'll pick up a shower stall and some 2x4s at some point. The shower stall will help me determine the final dimensions of the bathroom since the rough in is already in the floor and meant for a tub :eek: . I'm hoping to get all the wall locations drawn on the floor. There will be an odd order of operations to get the plumbing in for the sewage sump since there's already a bunch of stuff in the way.
Having two projects going on in the basement will be perfect for my ADD :cool: .

Jay

Steven Shelby
09-29-2006, 1:30 PM
We're about to launch on our next-to-last weekend camping trip of the season... off to Cape Cod for a weekend of relaxation.

Once we get finished with camping and put the camper away for the winter, I'll get the shop fired up and ready to start my big winter project, which is to finally build the bar in the family room that DW has been reminding me about for 17 months.

I did manage to make some progress toward upgrading the shop this summer, building a4x6 ft work/ assembly table that folds up onto the garage/shop wall, allowing for cars to be parked. Also bought a new RT1000 router station so I can pretty much consider my shop copmpleted... Yah-Yoo!!!

Anyway, have a great weekend, all! Work safely...

Robert Tarr
09-29-2006, 2:37 PM
Well, I broke my left leg while hiking last Saturday, so not much will be happening in my shop. I might try to make it upstairs and get a little carving done. I have a Noden Adjust-A-Bench, so I can lower my bench down to a comfortable sitting position. Not what I wanted to be working on, but it is something.

Have fun.

Ian Barley
09-29-2006, 2:46 PM
Well, I broke my left leg while hiking last Saturday, so not much will be happening in my shop. I might try to make it upstairs and get a little carving done. I have a Noden Adjust-A-Bench, so I can lower my bench down to a comfortable sitting position. Not what I wanted to be working on, but it is something.

Have fun.
Bummer Robert - Hope you heal quick - do what the medics tell you and give it time.

Sam Chambers
09-29-2006, 4:17 PM
Homecoming is this weekend, and I'm taking my stepdaughter to the game tonight. Her mother is taking her to the dance tomorrow. Junior (age 11) gets to stay in his room all weekend - and the next 2 weeks - 'cause he got busted for stealing money from me yesterday. Too bad, because I needed his help in the shop tomorrow.

I'm going to finish installing my new Biesemeyer fence tomorrow. Pics to follow, I promise.

glenn bradley
09-29-2006, 4:23 PM
That's not hiking, that's falling. All kidding aside, heal fast.

glenn bradley
09-29-2006, 4:32 PM
Took today off to fix a water leak. Its between the main and the regulator so at least its outside the house. I'm mounting some kitchen cabinets that a neighbor up the street threw out while remodeling. They were very poor quality and I can see why he wanted them out. However, with a little structural help they have turned into very functional, very ugly shop cabinets. They're up on french cleats. I figger I'll just paint 'em when I get around to painting the walls.

Update - OMG! I had forgotten what color the top of the make-shift workbench was that the previous owners left behind. With the revived kitchen Crapinets mounted I can put all the spare routers, machinist vise, benchtop dust hood, etc. behind closed doors. Even before painting this looks MUCH better.

P.s. Waiting for UPS to bring my replacement extension wings too.

Bob Childress
09-29-2006, 6:01 PM
Well, you may recall a recent thread where I asked for suggestions for repairing a Pergo floor. I didn't get many because, frankly, there ain't any way. So . . . I ripped the whole floor up and will finish re-laying tomorrow (hallelujah!). Will get SWMBO off my neck. Sunday maybe some actual shop time. :)

Chip Olson
09-29-2006, 6:03 PM
Saturday we're taking the kidlet to Drumlin Farm (local Audobon Society farm & wildlife sanctuary) Fall Festival, and likely having lunch with my sister who lives right behind it.

Sunday I'm hoping to get most of the finishing done on the cabinet drawers.

Larry Norton
09-29-2006, 6:20 PM
I hafe a show tomorrow, Saturday, in Crofton, Md. I've been doing this outdoor show for years. I even have a few people who come just to see me! I can live with that.

In my quest to have more less expensive stuff, I have 2 of these. I'm going to try them at $69.00. I also have a new trash cabinet.

Michael Morgan
09-29-2006, 6:44 PM
If it doesn't rain tommorow I will be finishing a Versa-Lok wall for a friend / customer, Total of about 650 Block. I have about 150 to go. 80 Lbs Each.:( Then Sunday (again if no rain) saw some logs.

Jim Becker
09-29-2006, 9:24 PM
We...it's going to be a "running around" kind of weekend as the girls have their normal Saturday activities (dance for the younger and karate for the older) and Sunday Dr. SWMBO has an event at the University president's house, so I get to drop off/pick up the younger from a birthday party and entertain the older with swimming and whatever else I can think of. Any other free time will likely be to continue with the landscaping work I've been doing, weather permitting. I still need to "finish" the finish on the walnut natural edge bench, but have not been in a hurry as I'm thinking about a couple other things that may benefit from spraying with USL concurrently.

I'll probably slap Mr. Tarr around a little more if I get the chance to stop by since he can't run very fast at the moment. ;) He really did look "cute" in his new office this week...you know...the "easy chair" office with the pc in his lap, ear bud in his, well...ear...and the total inattention from various furry animals that know he isn't exactly going to make nice to them right now...

Don Baer
09-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I'll be working on the LARGE DESK for LOML, the case work is mostly assembled but I need to tstart sanding in prep for finishing. I stopped by my hardwood suplier today to pick up the wood for the top, I needed some 4/4 10 feet long and he was going to pull some stuff and skip plane and straight line it for me. Turns out what he had was junk, he's goiing up to his mill in Oregon this weekend and will be back late this comming week. He promised to bring me back some good stuff. So I'll be sanding down the case work. Sunday morning and watching the race. In between time I'll do some turning..:D

Mark Pruitt
09-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I really, REALLY ought to spend an enormous amount of time cleaning,:rolleyes: but I might as well just admit up front, it ain't gonna happen. I'll stand in front of that lathe, get carried away with it, and the shavings will continue to pile up.:D

Tyler Howell
09-30-2006, 7:22 AM
Hard at it!.
Sanding, staining and sealing wood trim in my home.:(
Alittle family get together on Sundy and back to the grind on Monday.