PDA

View Full Version : Did my first turning

Julio Navarro
09-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Dont laugh now...
Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post I installed a mini mini chuck on my very old lathe and turned a very small spindle:D.

Yesterday I went to HF and got an 8 piece HSS lathe tool set. It seemed ok, but I think I will need to resharpen to get into a better angle and a little sharper. I visited FWW and downloaded a few PDF on turning.

Heres the pick. I used a piece of oak which was prob not the best wood to use for the first time:D!!

Not very impressive, but I did have fun!

I think I will try a piece of pine next just to experiment.

I'll prob have a ton of questions very soon!!

George Conklin
09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Your first bonker. Nicely done, Julio:) .

Scott Donley
09-29-2006, 11:40 AM
but I did have fun!

Yea, that is how the vortex begins :D Hang on to your wallet and have more fun. Nice first bonker Julio :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Good Bonker, Julio.

You might try something a little harder than pine. Pine gets pretty fuzzy unless your tools are VERY SHARP. Maple, Walnut, Ash, and Cherry are good for turning.

That said, if you get the Pine lookin' good, the others will be easier.

BTW, you're right about Oak. It's one of the woods that is harder to turn.

Bruce

Julio Navarro
09-29-2006, 12:01 PM
You might try something a little harder than pine. Pine gets pretty fuzzy unless your tools are VERY SHARP. Maple, Walnut, Ash, and Cherry are good for turning.

Thanks for the advice Bruce. I have some nice peices of maple I can try on.

Vaughn McMillan
09-29-2006, 4:44 PM
...but I did have fun!...
That right there is what it's all about. ;)

Keith Burns
09-29-2006, 5:05 PM
Yup, what Vaughn said !!! Having fun. Nice job on the bonker !!

Barry Stratton
09-29-2006, 8:33 PM
What Vaughn and Keith said......FUN is what it is all about. Nice bonker!!

Mark Pruitt
09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Bonk on, Julio, bonk on! Well done!

Mark

Don Baer
09-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Julio,
I enjoyed watching my son as he turned his first piece. He chucked up a piece of Eucalyptus tha I has rounded adn procced to practice wth every tool I has just to see what it did. I would recommend you get a green piece of something and do the same. I waited a long time before I did that and after I did I felt so much more confident.

Great looking bonker

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Whoo Hoo!! Now you are really and truly over the edge!!!:D

Way to go Julio!!! :D

Keep that sucker and date it, you will look back and have a great chuckle, and I think that chuckle will come in short order, as judging from your cyclone project, you get a handle on new stuff fairly soon!

After you get some more work on spindles, try some pens, they are VERY rewarding and quick and easy, not to mention having something in hand to say to SWMBO "Look honey, see I actually made something of use on the lathe!!"

Alright, we got another one guys!! :D:D

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Way to go Julio. You are on your way now. Just take your time, learn and have fun. That is what it is all about.

Jim Becker
09-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Ah...the addiction in it's early stages at Julio's house!!

BTW, any tool you buy will need sharpened before use with nearly zero exceptions.