PDA

View Full Version : Stinky be-gone!

Carlos Chiossone
09-29-2006, 8:31 AM
Hi all, thank God I finally got my ULS M-300-45 . Works beautifully, much better than expected.

But, my place smells like burnt wood now. Beautifull burnt wood, but my partners are driving me nuts about it. Is there a way to get rid of the burnt smell left on the wood after it has been cut. I know that the reason is due to the amount of items that are cut, stacked together. But is our inventory now and I just can't put it outside.

Thanks all for your comments.

Carlos Chiossone

Mike Null
09-29-2006, 9:19 AM
That fragrance is one of the fringe benefits of cutting wood. Is what you are cutting finished (does it have a finish on it)? If so you can clean it with a diluted citrus cleaner and that will help.

Is your exhaust blower leaking and is it powerful enough to do the job.

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2006, 9:46 AM
Try cutting 1,200 tags from Rowmark Laminate, then place in a box
and take somewhere in your car. That smell will be there a day or two.
I won't even begin to try to describe the smell of cut ABS.
Wood smell is nice, enjoy it. Otherwise yes, citrus cleaners will help,
if pre-finished, or spray clear over the tops and the edges.

Bruce Volden
09-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Carlos,

Try one of these (Ibought 2 as they are cheap) for odor removal/reduction!!!
They really do work although you have to clean them often. I had a $400.00 unit I used til that burned out to get rid of bone, acrlyic, leather... smells. I am not affiliated with the company.
http://www.ioniczone.com/ionic-zone-air-purifiers-s/18.htm

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Carlos,

Try one of these (Ibought 2 as they are cheap) for odor removal/reduction!!!
They really do work although you have to clean them often. I had a $400.00 unit I used til that burned out to get rid of bone, acrlyic, leather... smells. I am not affiliated with the company.
http://www.ioniczone.com/ionic-zone-air-purifiers-s/18.htm

Bruce
I have something similar in the laser room, and it helps get rid of the residual smells from opening the door to remove material. If the just-cut
material is still piled up though, I doubt it could do much.

Lee DeRaud
09-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I've never noticed any smell from cut wood pieces. On my setup, the odor comes from the residue that builds up on the honeycomb cutting table. KrudKutter seems to be the best answer for cleaning it...way stronger than Simple Green or citrus 409.

Rodne Gold
09-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Why not just put the stuff in sealed plastic containers , with perhaps a sachet of dessicant to stop moisture?)

Running the exhaust system a min or 2 after cutting and while you open the table will help

I had the bright idea of cleaning my honeycomb tables with oven cleaner , worked a charm 1st time , 2nd time it ate away the honeycomb.
I use castic soda to etch aluminium , so I don't know what I was thinking at the time - Duh!!

Now we use acetone and a paintbrush and have made a tool for reforming the honeycomb cells to fix distorted cells and to fix any "lips" that develop at the edge of the cell as well as to maintain the cells vertical walls. We alao have had the cutting tables anodised black (anodising stops the beam reflecting -- absorbs it) We also use an anodised sheet under the table. This stops flashback and stray beams in its tracks and reduces the chance of flaming big time.

Dave Jones
09-29-2006, 1:58 PM
Rodney, I'm curious about you using anodize. I do a lot of engraving of black anodized aluminum using a lot less power than I use when cutting wood. I would think the anodize on the grid edges would bleach white as soon as it's hit, and would etch off down to the bare metal after a couple of hits in the same spot.

Mike Null
09-29-2006, 2:27 PM
Good point.

Rodne Gold
09-29-2006, 3:45 PM
The top edges lose colour quickly , but the anodising on the edges doesnt seem to etch away , its much better than raw ally.
All lasers do to anodising is leech the dyes. even of it etches some of the anodising away , the surface still retains an anodised layer.
At any rate , we tend to use honeycomb cutting grids sparingly as they are expensive and delicate.
I have made some pin tables as well , but mainly cut directly on the anodised sheet or elevate on pex blocks on the sheet.
I use Chromodek sheets (epoxy coated steel) for thin stuff and kiss cutting or perforating or laser welding where the stuff can curl , i use rare earth magnets on this as hold downs.