PDA

View Full Version : Any Metal Benders Here?

Perry Holbrook
09-29-2006, 7:35 AM
I'm currently adding to my metal working tools. I just probably spent too much on a ring roller at bossbendersusa.com and don't want to repeat that with a universal bender.

Does anyone have experience with the benders at metalbendingtool.com ?

(Since I'll be mixing the metal with wood in the shop, I hope this is still on topic.)

Thanks, Perry

Rick Lizek
09-29-2006, 9:05 AM
Probably fine tools. All clones of the original http://www.hossfeldbender.com/ which I have used a bit biut most of my bending was with simple methods such as wooden forms or aluminum forms if heating thicker solid metal. This was while working as a metalsmith. We used some of the junkiest equipment to make really nice stuff so you don't always need to spend money on tools.
There are many good metalworking forums out there.
www.artmetal.com (http://www.artmetal.com)
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=001156;p=0
http://metalshapers.org/learning-center/

http://www.themetalguy.com/tv%20show/tv.html
Goggle will turn up a lot of info. Typically I look for the already asked question and just read the answer rather than asking the question.

Keith Outten
09-29-2006, 1:06 PM
I'm currently adding to my metal working tools. I just probably spent too much on a ring roller at bossbendersusa.com and don't want to repeat that with a universal bender.

Does anyone have experience with the benders at metalbendingtool.com ?

(Since I'll be mixing the metal with wood in the shop, I hope this is still on topic.)

Thanks, Perry

Perry,

I have been known to do a bit of metal work from time to time. I have the HF metal bender that is simular to the Pro2 at metalbendingtool.com but probably not the same quality. The HR bender was about $99.00 and I have already got my money back many times over. I also own several of the scroll benders and do some wrought iron style bending...mailboxes and stuff. I've been making custom hangers for my shop and an occasional U-Bolt or two to fit hitches and equipment. My most recent metal bending job was a cake topper for my niece.

Grizzly also has a couple of metal benders that are worth considering, let me know if you find a hydraulic bending machine that is cheap, I sure whould love to have one for my shop :)

Rick Lizek
09-29-2006, 3:49 PM
If you get the more detailed info on the Hossfeld you will find hydraulics can be added. www.surpluscenter.com has good deals on hydraulic stuff.
Even better is Arbee Hydraulic 312 289-1468. No web site but he really knows his stuff. It wouldn't be difficult to add hydraulics to any of the benders as long as they are heavy enough. The Hossfeld manuals are very good guides to using the universal bender and there is an excellent tutorial of sorts on artmetal.com

Perry Holbrook
09-29-2006, 8:02 PM
Keith, I actually bought the Grizzly Metal craft kit a couple of months ago, that's why I'm looking again. I only got as far as the ring roller and found that the knurled rollers were not hardened and I wore groves in them the first time I used it even using metal less than the stated capacities. I wound up having new rollers made and hardened and redesigning the follow rollers with bearings. These modifications made it useable but marginal.

At that point I swore that when it comes to bending metal, I won't go cheap again. I looked at the HF bender and it does look similar to the Pro2 but based on my Grizzly experience I had not considered it. I'm glad your experience was better and will give it another look.

Perry

Keith Outten
09-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Perry,

My first scroll benders I purchased at Metal Craft, they were horribly expensive IMHO. I then purchased the HF scroll bender set which were simular to Metal Crafts, the tally was $129.00 against Metal Crafts price of $1,000.00.

The ring roller/bender/rivet setting tools had, as far as I can tell, the same quality knurled rollers and I had the same experience as you did. I also remember that both owners manuals made reference to the knurled rollers wearing prematurely if the pressure exerted was excessive whatever that means.

I believe that the Metal Craft tools were of better quality but it is marginal and does not reflect the price difference. Either tool set would require the same fix that you had to do in order to make the tools work as required.

The parts benders are not quite as cut and dried. I'm sure the range of quality is more in line with the purchase price than the scroll bending tools. For my limited use the HF bender has actually done a nice job but it does lack the optional accessories that the better quality benders have.

I've spent a considerable amount of time researching homemade benders on the Net. There are some very nice tools that hobby metal workers have designed and built that are within the capability of my shop equipment to build. I am looking carefully at each design trying to decide which would provide me with the most versitile bender for larger size pipe and rectangular tube. Like you I don't mind spending more for better quality tools but in some categories the price isn't always a good indicator of value.

Its a pretty good bet that the most expensive tools are almost always the best choice for professionals but the price is almost always a deal stopper for a hobby metal worker.