PDA

View Full Version : Home made suspended Ceiling

Lee Schierer
09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I had some 2 x 4's left over from another project and had the idea that I could put up the free ceiling tiles I had come by a few years ago. So, I ripped the 2 x 4 into 1/4" thick and 5/16" thick strips. I was able to get four of each per 2 x 4. I used one 10 foot and four 8 foot 2 x 4's. So my total investment in ceiling grid and tile not counting time is under $20.

I glued the strips together in a T- shape and tacked them in place with small brads from my brad nailer. By overlapping segments of strip and adding a small rib on the vertical joint I was able to make the 178" runners I needed. Remarkably when supported only at the ends, they sagged less than 1/2" in the middle under their own weight. I used screw in hooks to support the ceiling in the conventional manner.

My shop ceiling is now all enclosed and more attractive than it was. I like the look of the wood grain grid work better than the metal grid work on the other half of the shop. Maybe at some point I will replace the metal on the other side too.

Steve Wargo
09-28-2006, 10:36 PM
That's sharp Lee. Very cool.

Rennie Heuer
09-29-2006, 8:32 AM
Now that's thinking outside the box. I like the look!