PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Salad Bowl #2

Ed Scolforo
09-28-2006, 8:03 PM
It's been awhile since I've been able to take a breath, but I finally got finished with this bowl. After giving my friend at work a similar bowl in thanks for all the blanks he gave me, I was comissioned by fellow workers to make four more. This one is 14.5 inches x 5 inches high. Finished with 2 coats of walnut oil. On another note, I've been having problems truing up the tenon so as to get the wobble out. I do things as Bill teaches, but have been getting out of round turning in the last couple bowls, including the one being sanded now. Any ideas? Thanks for looking.
Ed

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2006, 9:17 PM
No idea's Ed. Haven't had that problem. I just put the bowl over the chuck, bring up the tailstock to hold it and turn it true. Bowls are beautiful. You did a nice job on them and I like the form.

Ernie Nyvall
09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Nice bowl Ed.

On the out of round: What do you use on the inside of the bowl when reverse turning? I use my chuck, but have to adjust the opening of it different for different bowls depending on how it warped while drying. Sometimes I'll add padding to try and center it. Then again, sometimes nothing seems to work right.

Ed Scolforo
09-29-2006, 6:48 AM
Nice bowl Ed.

On the out of round: What do you use on the inside of the bowl when reverse turning? I use my chuck, but have to adjust the opening of it different for different bowls depending on how it warped while drying. Sometimes I'll add padding to try and center it. Then again, sometimes nothing seems to work right.
Ernie, I do the same as you. It seems that if the rough out isn't absolutely symmetrical at the bottom of the bowl (and what are the chances it will be after drying), that the resulting out of roundness will transfer itself to the tenon and the rest of the bowl. I even sanded the inside bottom of the current rough out to help keep things aligned better. It seems to have helped some. Maybe the sheer size and weight of the blanks add to the problem (10 pounds before finish turning). Hickory has alot of different densities in the wood that I also think may contribute to difficulties turning smoothly. I spent ALOT of time sanding!I think the pad idea sounds good. BTW, thanks for the feedback.
Ed

Keith Burns
09-29-2006, 8:40 AM
Great bowl Ed !!! Nice form and finish:) :) :)

Frank Kobilsek
09-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Use an mouse pad. Everyone gets them free as promos for this at that.

Turn a block that fits into the bowl bottom loosely with a recess to fit your chuck on one side. Glue the top side of the mouse pad to the block. Trim off the excess pad with a good half inch over hang to the block. The mouse pad is a medium friction material designed not to slide around on the desk and the same hold true to the inside of the rought dry bowl. You'll make several before your collection reaches a point you can fit all your rough outs. When the pad gets real dirty and slick wipe off with mineral spirits.

I have also used 60 grit sand paper as the interface between the bowl and the block. This seems more appropriate on small diameter deep bowls.

Frank