PDA

View Full Version : Laser levels

John Gregory
09-28-2006, 6:14 PM
I am going to install a new suspended ceiling in my basement. Can I laser level be used? I think I saw that done on a tv show before TOH? maybe?
Anyway any tips to make sure the L shaped trim on the walls are level will be helpful, thanks

Larry Cooke
09-28-2006, 6:21 PM
John,

The absolute best method is to use some clear vinyl tubing and water with some dye in it. Cheap and deadly accurate.

If the laser level you intend on using isn't self leveling then don't use it, any laser level with a bubble leveling device isn't worth using either.

Larry

Greg Sznajdruk
09-28-2006, 7:09 PM
I have a mid range commercial rotary laser level, with a tri-pod. This is a you level it your own darn self. This is the fourth one that I have had, the three previous self levelers I took back when the self leveling capability screwed up. You could see it was off by eye, didn't need a level to check and there is no way it would work since there is no manual mode.

Every suspended ceiling we do used this rotary level, it takes about 2 to 3 minutes to setup. It dead accurate after setup, unless of course if you walk it to it.

Greg

Ken Deckelman
09-29-2006, 9:02 AM
John,
I do not used a Rotary Laser, but I do use a self leveling Cross-hair model, it can be viewed here:
http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200321921_200321921.htm

Lowe's was selling these for about $150.00, including the pole, tripod mount, and wall mount however I could not find it on the website. Maybe your local Lowe's has one on the shelf?

I have used it for hanging cabinet, pictures and drop ceilings.
I like it because:
1. The batteries last forever
2. Its self leveling
3. Fast and easy setup
4. Comes with several mounting options
5. Low cost for what's included in the package
6. Comes with good storage case that hold all accessories

The only negative so far (in the 3 years I've owned it) are that its hard to see the line outside...

tod evans
09-29-2006, 9:07 AM
john, for what it`s worth, i use a water level to check the accuracy of lazer levels......02 tod

Bob Wilkerson
09-29-2006, 9:20 AM
FWIW, I use a Black and Darker laser level that projects a 360 degree line around a room to verify installations by sub contractors at work. It seems to work well. Take a look on Hechinger.com for it. They were half the price of the other suppliers that I found. It's actually dropped $20 in price since I bought a couple last month! Amazon is over $100 higher in price.......

http://www.hechinger.com//web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=96439

Bob

Frank Fusco
09-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I thought I had arrived when I got my laser level. Joy lasted until I tried to use it. It projects a line around the room. Nice and bright. But it is a [explitive deleted] CURVED line. :mad: Keep your receipt and return pronto if the one you get isn't perfectly accurate.

John Gregory
09-29-2006, 11:37 AM
I thought I had arrived when I got my laser level. Joy lasted until I tried to use it. It projects a line around the room. Nice and bright. But it is a [explitive deleted] CURVED line. :mad: Keep your receipt and return pronto if the one you get isn't perfectly accurate.

Frank, what brand and model was yours?

Frank Fusco
09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Frank, what brand and model was yours?

Good question. I had to go and look at it. It doesn't have a brand name anywhere. So, I guess it is 'No Name'.

Per Swenson
09-29-2006, 4:47 PM
Hey everbody,

I used to go the Egyptian route back when there where

only three channels on TV. By Crickey.

No today, I don't leave home with out it.

Accurate you wonder? Perfect and two free calibrations

which I have yet to use in 4 years.

Sounds to good to be true, Hunh?

Well, fine print, gonna cost about $550, Plus $80 for the pole.

But don't feel guilty-Buy a Hilti.

Pl32.

Per

Nate Engel
10-29-2006, 3:16 PM
PML32 is extremely accurate and short of driving over it, we'll fix it under the warranty period.

Yes, self-levelling.

engenat@us.hilti.com

Nate Engel