09-28-2006, 2:22 PM
Ok. Fess up.

Who has one, ordered one?

I ordered one last night:eek: ;) :D

Yea. I know. No pic, didn't happen.

I have no idea when it will get here.

tod evans
09-28-2006, 2:28 PM
not i........i invest in old stanleys. better return than the stock market:cool: .02 tod

Steve Clardy
09-28-2006, 2:32 PM
Same here on the stanleys. I have a few of them buggers around here.

Philip Glover
09-28-2006, 5:30 PM
Me.
S/N #45
After I put a micro bevel on it and adjusted the frog I went to town planing birds eye maple. I have never used a plane that worked so well on difficult grain. I will be using my #112 a lot less now.

Regards,
Phil

Martin Shupe
09-28-2006, 7:38 PM
I ordered on June 29, the first day I heard about them. However, at least 200 other folks did as well (according to LN). I heard on another board they are sending them out in batches of 50, so I guess I am not in the first 50.

So far, everyone who has gotten theirs has been very pleased.

There is one on ebay, and it is already up to original price, with 8 days remaining.

There are less than 70 slots remaining according to the latest rumor.

Steve Clardy
09-28-2006, 7:43 PM
Thanks all.

Martin. You on the list over there? Cian started a list on the owners, owners to be.

Seen the one on Ebay, surpassed new price already:confused: :eek:

Bruce Page
09-28-2006, 8:08 PM
It is purdy.

Gary Herrmann
09-28-2006, 8:44 PM
I doubt that I'll get one - mostly becuase SWMBO would probably disembowel me for dropping $400 on a plane, but I am curious about something.

Do you have to do anything to the bronze to keep it from developing a patina? Would you even want to since whatever you might put on the plane would then get on your wood? All that comes to mind is wax.

I've never had a bronze plane, but I look at the LNs now and then. I just wonder what the care and feeding differences are. Like I said, just curious...

Ken Garlock
09-28-2006, 8:50 PM
I Emailed LN about me order, and they said it would ship in the next week or two, that was on 9/13. It should arrive anytime, guess I will have to sit and wait.

Steve Clardy
09-28-2006, 9:03 PM
I'll probably bug them later as to when mine will be shipped.
I have no idea on keeping a bronze plane clean, shiny.
I'm planning on leaving it in the sealed bag. Thats gonna be tough.:o

Martin Shupe
09-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks all.

Martin. You on the list over there? Cian started a list on the owners, owners to be.

Seen the one on Ebay, surpassed new price already:confused: :eek:

Yes, I post there as Martin S. I asked Cian to put me on the list.

You're going to leave yours in the bag? You're not going to use it?:eek:

Steve Clardy
09-29-2006, 1:57 AM
Yes, I post there as Martin S. I asked Cian to put me on the list.

You're going to leave yours in the bag? You're not going to use it?:eek:

Thats the current plan.
I figure its an investment.

It's going to be hard to resist though:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Ian Smith
09-29-2006, 6:49 AM
I ordered one on 09/25 so I've still got a while to wait. Mine will be a user. There is no way I could keep it in the bag. Cian has me on his list. I go by the name Mirboo on WoodNet.

Andrew Homan
09-29-2006, 7:28 AM
I've never had a bronze plane, but I look at the LNs now and then. I just wonder what the care and feeding differences are. Like I said, just curious...

Hi Gary,
I have several bronze planes and several iron planes, so I'll be able to give you an idea of this. I initially bought bronze planes when possible (for instance, my #4 is bronze, whereas my 62 is iron) because the bronze appeals to me aesthetically! However, I soon learned that it is easier to take care of, and this has become really important to me now!

I'll preface this by saying that I _like_ the feel and appearance of the patina that develops on my bronze tools. I wonder if it would look different for someone with, say, a different pH of their skin. At any rate, I like it, so when I put away my bronze planes (and bronze spokeshave), I usually put some oil on the blade and chipbreaker and dust the plane off, put it in a plane sock, and that's it. The patina that developed simply dulled the shinyness. If shiny is what you want, it wouldn't take much polish to get it back to glory.

For iron planes, I guess it all depends on the climate where one lives, but here, I feel that I have to go through a whole routine of wiping down and oiling each iron plane before it is put away.
-Andy

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
09-29-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm #41 and also on Cian's list.

Ken Werner
10-06-2006, 10:49 PM
well, I'm tempted, but I'm also cheap....
any idea just how good an investment it'll be?
and do you think using it - opening the bag even - will reduce that investment value? I don't think I'd want to own a beauty like that and not use it.

I've heard stories and don't know if they're true about old T birds or early 'vettes bricked in to a garage 40 years ago with little or no mileage on them. Steve, what kind of time frame are you thinking of?

Ken

Ian Smith
10-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Looks like it might already be a good investment. There is one for sale on eBay at the moment (No. 24) that still has just over 5 hours left to go and its already been bid up to $436.12.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&item=260035961100&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Alan DuBoff
10-07-2006, 12:34 AM
do you think using it - opening the bag even - will reduce that investment value? I don't think I'd want to own a beauty like that and not use it.I 'spose some might worry about that, but it's a new tool. Get it, use it, and wear it out, if nothing else it will make you a better woodworker. If you want collectables, go find mint planes that are already collectable, IMO, and you won't have to wait. If you want to collect, buy collectables.

Per ebay, the frenzy will be over soon when folks realize they're just another new plane, albeit a nice one, but a new one none the less.

Derek Cohen
10-07-2006, 4:26 AM
"Per ebay, the frenzy will be over soon when folks realize they're just another new plane, albeit a nice one, but a new one none the less".

Not so sure of that Alan. This is a Limited Edition and that is the basis for a collectable (supply verses demand). I suspect that this #4 1/2 will become another LN bronze #9, which ceased production (moving to an iron version) because it was difficult to manufacture. What does a bronze #9 go for these days? I don't know but I'm sure it is several times its original price.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan DuBoff
10-07-2006, 4:42 AM
"Per ebay, the frenzy will be over soon when folks realize they're just another new plane, albeit a nice one, but a new one none the less".

Not so sure of that Alan. This is a Limited Edition and that is the basis for a collectable (supply verses demand). I suspect that this #4 1/2 will become another LN bronze #9, which ceased production (moving to an iron version) because it was difficult to manufacture. What does a bronze #9 go for these days? I don't know but I'm sure it is several times its original price.

Regards from Perth

DerekDerek,

I'm certainly one to encourage folks to buy tools, but it's kinda funny seeing folks that would spend $400 on a hand plane and ponder wether they'll use it.

Maybe I'll be able to pick one up at an estate sale cheap where the family sells off tools for pennies on the dollar.:D

I'd rather find one that hasn't been used if possible.;)

Ian Smith
10-07-2006, 5:48 AM
The one on eBay ended up going for $506.11.

Steve Clardy
10-07-2006, 9:30 PM
well, I'm tempted, but I'm also cheap....
any idea just how good an investment it'll be?
and do you think using it - opening the bag even - will reduce that investment value? I don't think I'd want to own a beauty like that and not use it.

I've heard stories and don't know if they're true about old T birds or early 'vettes bricked in to a garage 40 years ago with little or no mileage on them. Steve, what kind of time frame are you thinking of?

Ken

Leaving it in the bag, untouched is the current plan.
That may change. Hopefully not.
I have no real way to predict whether it will return a good investment one of these days. I would like say for sure it will.
I have plenty of other planes to use.
Buying it was a spur of the moment thing. I haven't regretted ordering it so far.
Steve

Steve Clardy
01-07-2007, 1:41 PM
Finally got around to unpacking my planes.

#351 shown smoothing a chunk of walnut. Blade is untouched. Straight out of the box.
#377 and #388 still sealed in the bags.

Corvin Alstot
01-07-2007, 3:21 PM
Here is my new LN #4.5. This is my first LN bench plane and it works so much better than my best Bedrocks.
I guess the thicker blades helps a little.

Steve, what are your plans for 377 and 388?

Steve Clardy
01-07-2007, 3:45 PM
Here is my new LN #4.5. This is my first LN bench plane and it works so much better than my best Bedrocks.
I guess the thicker blades helps a little.

Steve, what are your plans for 377 and 388?

Not sure Corvin. Just gonna stow them for now;) :D