PDA

View Full Version : Questions on cauls

Ken Consaul
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I thought this weekend I would make some jigs and accessories. As I am planning some projects that will have tops and panel glueups, I thought I ought to make some clamping cauls. I could use some tips and advice.
First, I'm thinking of using 5/4 or 6/4 soft maple, depending on what they have at the yard when I get there. I'm thinking soft maple because its cheap, stable, and relatively stiff. Reasonable choice?
2. How long should I cut them? Thinking my glueups will probably not exceed 30" wide (and probably done in 2 piece plus 2 piece steps).
3. How thick should I make them? My understanding of cauls is they should have some flex so clamping 'straightens' them out.
4. How much arc do I put in them? I guess this is relative to the length and how is the best way to cut the arc? Should I BS an arc, clean it up and then use the first for a pattern with a flush cut bit? If they are much wider than 6/4 then my flush cut bit won't do it in one pass. Perhaps I should just scribe a line and plane to it?
Any other tips, links, or advice appreciated.

tod evans
09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
ken, when i do panel glue-ups i use long reach-swivel pad vice grips to align the glue joints as i apply clamping pressure.......sorry if i didn`t directly answer your question, but i did provide an opportunity to buy more tools:) ......02 tod

glenn bradley
09-28-2006, 1:09 PM
This is informative as is Bowclamps site:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-21.htm

Ken Consaul
09-28-2006, 1:22 PM
Actually, I was looking to make something to assist in clamping perpendicular. I will be using some biscuits to help with alignment of the joint but, as most of my clamps are Pony 3/4" pipe clamps, the issue is they tend to bow the workpiece. I'm looking to make cauls to clamp the workpiece across the glueup to keep it straight.
As I mentioned earlier, I would clamp two pieces together, then two more, then join the two assemblies into one top. Lots of opportunity to bow the top.

Greg Sznajdruk
09-28-2006, 1:42 PM
Ken:

Take a look at this clamping system:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31181&cat=1,43838,47843&ap=1

I have use these several times and have gotten good results.

Greg

Aaron Beaver
09-28-2006, 1:47 PM
I read or saw a picture in some mag where they tapered it from the center to 1/8" less on the ends.

Ken Consaul
09-28-2006, 1:51 PM
$35, ouch. I want to make something. I bet I can cobble that together wandering up and down the aisle at the hardware store that has all the little drawers.
I was planning on using short bar clamps to hold the cauls but this looks like a solution. I could end up with a glueup that has so many Pony clamps on it I couldn't move it.

Greg Sznajdruk
09-28-2006, 1:59 PM
Ken:

Thats $35 each. So it would be a bigger OUCH!

Greg

larry merlau
09-28-2006, 2:08 PM
ken, when i do panel glue-ups i use long reach-swivel pad vice grips to align the glue joints as i apply clamping pressure.......sorry if i didn`t directly answer your question, but i did provide an opportunity to buy more tools:) ......02 tod

when you get done tod, post us a pic of what you referring too?? thanks

tod evans
09-28-2006, 2:14 PM
here ya` go larry......they don`t help with pipe clamps bowing but they`ll sure-nuff pull boards into alignment.....tod

Rick Lizek
09-28-2006, 2:41 PM
I use cauls of maple 36" and 48" from 5/4 stock around 2" tall. 1/8" crown works fine. I typically have a master one I pattern rout them out to. I can easily glue up a 4' x 8' in one shot by myself. You can use the gnarliest pipe clamps and the cauls keep it flush. I also thicknes to finish dimension before clamping and after clampi time it's just a matter of scraping the glue off and finish sanding. Been doing this for 30 years and never had a failure. I don't ever use biscuits for panel glue ups ever. I've aslo done glue ups every other way after working in large and small shops over the years. Cauls are good for large case goods glue ups as well. I just use quick clamps(the kind that was around before Besseys) to secure the cauls. An hour later I remove the clamps and glue up another panel.

Jesse Cloud
09-28-2006, 5:11 PM
I make cauls from whatever scrap is around, including 2x4s. I put about 1/8 inch arc on them (generally they are 36-48 inches long).

But after I read Tod's post, I'm kicking myself - could have bought more tools!:rolleyes:

Mike Cutler
09-28-2006, 6:47 PM
I make cauls from whatever scrap is around, including 2x4s. I put about 1/8 inch arc on them (generally they are 36-48 inches long).

But after I read Tod's post, I'm kicking myself - could have bought more tools!:rolleyes:

'course if ya buy those Vise-Grips. You might be able to ratioalize a welder too.:D :D :cool:

I just use resawn 2x4's and run them through the jointer a half dozen times on each end. Makes a nice bow in the middle. Then I use 'em to start the woodstove in the winter, and make more again when I need them.

Alex Berkovsky
09-29-2006, 8:30 AM
I recently made a couple long cauls out of 2x4's. If you buy the 2-byes from BORG, you don't even have to put a curve on them. :eek:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Community/QADetail.aspx?id=26546

http://www.newwoodworker.com/cauls.html

Matthew Fallon
12-11-2006, 11:18 AM
If you buy the 2-byes from BORG, you don't even have to put a curve on them. :eek:

LOL aint that the truth.
spent better part of an hour trying to find (15) straight 1x4x10 white pine there the other night..
if they kept the boards STRAIGHT UP not leaning in so much,there'd be alot less crooked lumber,and a lot less mess from having to cherry pick through all that Crap! .

Rick Schubert
12-11-2006, 1:31 PM
Newbie question: It appears Bowclamp and similar cauls are for the sides of panel glue-ups. Cauls like shown at the NewWoodworker.com site are for the ends. Is this correct?

Do you need both on the same glue-up?

Thanks, Rick

John Schreiber
12-11-2006, 1:54 PM
I've used 2x4s picked out of the stack at the Borg. To find the amount to plane off, I bent them using the clamps I was going to use in the glueup and snapped a chalk line on the bent lumber.

When I undid the clamps, the straight chalkline was now curved to make the surface of the caul.

Matthew Fallon
12-11-2006, 1:54 PM
Newbie question: It appears Bowclamp and similar cauls are for the sides of panel glue-ups. Cauls like shown at the NewWoodworker.com site are for the ends. Is this correct?

Do you need both on the same glue-up?

Thanks, Rick

looks like the newWoodworker ones are just plain old straight 2x4's
not curved on one side like 'bowclamps' etc, which gives the others clamping pressure along the full length,and sorta dismisses his statement that "cauls are not clamps"

glenn bradley
12-11-2006, 2:58 PM
John,

Cool tip. I'm gonna give that a try. Of course I could've really used something like that on the carcass I just glued up ;-)