PDA

View Full Version : Man, this round stuff is GREAT

Doug Jones
10-14-2003, 8:25 PM
Why didn't you folks tell me that turnin is fun. Oh,,,wait a second you did, I just didn't listen.
I had a small piece of box elder so on the lathe it went. Its not the best shape in the world nor the most attractive but I can say I did it myself. The only problem is, how do I remove the bottom sacrificial piece that I glued onto the elder. I glued it on so when I ran the screws through the face plate into the wood it wouldn't go into the elder.

Jim Becker
10-14-2003, 9:43 PM
Yea...the "spinny" thing is a lot of fun! Kinda like some other things we all generally enjoy... :D Keep up the good work!

As to your question, put that thang back on the lathe...you need to part it off with the lathe running. Take your parting tool and begin to work at the bottom of the vessel to remove it from the waste block. You want to insure that you're getting a slight recess in the bottom of the piece so that it will sit flat. As you get "close", slow the lathe down and with a very sharp tool, complete the parting while holding your hand around the piece...ever so close. The object is to catch it when you trim it off. (This is obviously for small objects only)

If you can't slow your lathe down enough to be comfortable catching the vessel, cut it close but not completely off. By close, I mean with about a 1/16" stub holding it on. Do keep your hand ready in case it does let go, however. At that point, take it off the lathe and carfully trim it off with a very sharp knife or chisel. Clean the bottom with a small carving gouge and a little sandpaper.

This is a normal technique for making small vessels without reversing them. You can generally even finish them before final parting if you take care and then only have to touch up the bottom before you sign them and put them up on display.

Tom Sweeney
10-14-2003, 9:51 PM
Don't tell anybody. Didn't we tell you when we showed you the secret handshake?

Lookin good Doug. Turning with just a face plate can be a bit of a pain but you can work around it with some advance planning. Just do what Jim told you - the only real trick is to make the part flat on the outside & then kind of start recessing it after the first 1/8" or so.

I really have to get me some spalted box elder.

Doug Jones
10-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Ok, I followed Kevin's advise (via chat session) and Jim's advise (thanks to both) and the below pic is what I ended up with. The other pic is one I turned yesterday. I think its persimmon.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Nice, Doug. I can tell you've caught the fever.

Steve Clardy
10-15-2003, 10:30 AM
I gotta get me some of that Box Elder too. Beautiful wood.
I just took out three 18" sassafrase trees in the yard that died out. Have them cut into blocks for bowls, etc. Now for some extra time to play------ :rolleyes:

Dominic Greco
10-15-2003, 1:16 PM
Doug,
Looks like you're well on your way. I'd like to suggest a couple of things to you that have helped me along.

1.) Take a class with an experienced Turner. Someone like Bill Grumbine. Tom Sweeny will tell you', Bill is a world class teacher. I took a class with him and I feel it elevated my work to a whole new level. You'd be surprised at the amount of stuff you'll pick up.

2.) Try to find a local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/). Joining a local chapter opens up a whole new world of resources to you. Plus joining the AAW gets you a subscription to their magazine. It's great to read every month (or is it every other month?).

3.) Get some books on turning. (3) books that come to mind are:

By Richard Raffan
a.) Turning Bowls with Richard Raffan
b.) Turned Bowl Design
c.) Turning Boxes

The new edition of "Turning Bowls" is EXCELLENT! I find myself re-reading section of it all the time. It is a great source of information. Plus the color photos are a real treat for the eyes.

"Turned Bowl Design" will help you with shaping the bowl. This has a lot to do with what "works" and what "doesn't". Cause after a while, no matter what wood you turn the bowl from, it will turn dark. All thats left is the shape. This is a great book full of helpful guidelines and tips. there is also a section showing variations of forms that I found very helpful. I've xeroxed the provided profiles and have them taped up on the wall behind my lathe.

"Turning Boxes" is just a fun book. These are neat little projects that really test your skill and let you make something useful. I consider this book one of my favorites.

4.) Practice and have fun!

See ya,