PDA

View Full Version : Which Metel/Grade for captive system

Jeff Myers
09-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Creekers!
I'm about to embark on getting a captive hollowing system made and
wanted to know if anyone can answer some ???'s about metal types to use.
1) Cold Rolled Steel vs. Stainless....Stainless would be best for corrosion resistance (which definately would be better for green wood turning)but can it be welded as easily and is it as strong or would that
matter?
2) If cold rolled, i've seen 1018 med. carbon, 1045TGP med. carbon and 1144 stressproof high hardness types available.
...If Stainless there's 303 and 304 grades

3) can cold rolled or stainless be bent to shape? i'd prefer having the "P" shaped part that holds the boring bar form bent all the way back around so only one weld where it joins back with itself if possible or is that harder than just cutting the pieces and making 4 seperate welds???

As always, thanks in advance for the guidance,
Jeff

Cecil Arnold
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Jeff, I can't comment on which steel to buy, but I've been told that you want cold rolled as it is sized more precisely than other stock. Sizing can become an issue when you weld the collar to the end of the "P" for your boring bar and for the fit of the bar.

Richard Madison
09-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Jeff,
The only metal grade that matters is your tool bit that actually does the cutting. Make everything else out of the least expensive material available. If you are going to have it made, show a drawing of what you want to the folks who are going to make it, and ask them the best and/or easiest way.