PDA

View Full Version : TV Tray design

Floyd Rogers
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I have been working on this off and on for a while. I like the design of the [ shape so it can slide under the sofa and up to you as you sit. I have made modifications to the proto-type which I do not care for. The 45 deg brace and the L brace. The cross member, in the front, also because it hits my knees as I pull it up. I got around to making the top so now I need to make the base. So the question is, how do I make the [ frame with out the braces or at least an idea to make it look better?

Thanks
Floyd

Jamie Buxton
09-28-2006, 10:56 AM
You might could extend the top and the bottom away from the sofa, and move the braces to that extended area. That would leave the area near the sofa without braces.

Floyd Rogers
09-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Without the braces the frame is not stable enough. At least the way I put it together. The joints are half-laped. What joint would you suggest for the frame?

Floyd

Dave Richards
09-28-2006, 11:24 AM
I like the top.

How about slightly larger pieces for the legs and perhaps bridle joints between the uprights and horizontals?

Ralph Barhorst
09-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I made one like this. The L-shaped pieces are 4" on a side. It works well.

Floyd Rogers
09-28-2006, 11:34 AM
That is about what I had in mind. Since you made the bottom connecting did you have to put a support between the leggs?

Floyd Rogers
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Help me Dave, what is a bridle joint?

Dave Richards
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Floyd, a bridle joint is basically a mortise and tenon joint where the end of the mortise is open. Make a V with your fingers and stick your other hand in the V. That's essentially it.

Here's a quickie idea. I didn't include the stretcher and a second leg but you should get the idea anyway.

Doug Shepard
09-28-2006, 12:40 PM
What about angling the uprights 5 or 10° from vertical? The legs could be extended a bit too for stability. That would bring the tray in closer to you while keeping the braces from being as close.

tim rowledge
09-28-2006, 1:53 PM
How about trying a bentwood leg- a perfect excuse to try some thing you may not have done before?