PDA

View Full Version : American Beech - good for furniture?

Bob Jones
09-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I want to build my first bedroom suite. I was going to use cherry, because I like the look. However, I have a chance to get some American Beech for $1.50/ bd ft. This is half the price of cherry. Is Beech a good wood for furniture? Does it stain to a darker color nicely?
Thanks!

Doug Shepard
09-28-2006, 8:12 AM
I've only used it for a bit of shop stuff, but I think it's got a rep for more wood movement than you might want for furniture. It machines nicely but I did notice a small tendency for chipout if tools weren't kept sharp. It took clear finish well so I would guess that it would take stain well. But all the stuff I've seen at local suppliers has been pretty plain looking. Nice looking wood, just not much in the way of figure that you might want to see on a suite of furniture. Just my $0.02.

Mike Null
09-28-2006, 8:13 AM
My limited experience with beech was not good. I bought 100 or so board feet a few years ago and by the time I was ready to use it it was twisted and warped to the point I felt it was dangerous to use.

I ended up using a few of the boards for wood storage shelves in the basement but never used any to build anything.

lou sansone
09-28-2006, 8:37 AM
it does move quite a bit. has it been steamed ? it seems that steaming during the drying process helps to settle it down some.
lou

Jay Knoll
09-28-2006, 9:05 AM
Bob

I took a course at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship. Peter Korn the director said to us " use the best wood you can when you build a project" The time that you spend building something is far more expensive than the money you spend buying the wood you use to build it. So, make sure that you are going to like to look at what you're going to be using for your project.

If you really like cherry, I'd go that route. If you think the beech would stain well, then I'd try finishing a board before you even start building just to make sure you like the look.

Jay

Quinn McCarthy
09-28-2006, 9:08 AM
Use it for the drawers and internal parts. I have never had the movement problems that others said they had.

Steve Wargo
09-28-2006, 9:19 AM
Not for drawers that are piston fit. It moves way too much. I'd just stay away from it all together.