PDA

View Full Version : Attractions in Philly

Steve Evans
09-27-2006, 8:33 PM
I'm spending this weekend in Philadelphia with my wife and some friends. On my last trip down (to Alan Turner's studio), I really didn't get much of a chance to check out the city. We're staying downtown at the Loews, and won't bother with a car, so within walking distance or transit would be ideal. Cab would work for something really interesting. It seems to me that the Philadephia Museum of Art has a good furniture collection, is that correct? Does anybody have any other suggestions.

Steve

Karl Laustrup
09-27-2006, 9:10 PM
The Franklin Institute. Haven't been there in ages so I don't know where it is in relation to where you're staying, but it amazed me when I was a kid.

Karl

Tom Henry
09-27-2006, 9:25 PM
You could try and get Eagles tickets for Monday night. Kimmel Center is a nice place if there is a show. Old City is a cool spot for some historic sites. Like the Decloration of Independance and the Liberty bell. If you were to go outside the city you could go to King of Prussia Plaza which is a huge mall.

Rob Bodenschatz
09-27-2006, 9:38 PM
This is great if you have kids:
http://www.pleasetouchmuseum.org/

This is great if you don't:
http://www.easternstate.org/halloween/

This is a good site for finding stuff to do:
http://www.phillyfunguide.com/

Wes Bischel
09-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Steve,
If you head over to Independence Hall etc., the Betsy Ross house, Christ Church are both close by. But my favorite is Elfreth's alley - a few blocks further.
http://www.elfrethsalley.org/About.htm

If you're interested in the history stuff. It's a bit of a walk, but a neat place.

Wes

Jim Becker
09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
The Woodturning Center at 5th and Vine is a good place to visit when you are in town. There is actually a little more than just turning, too... Note they are not open on Sunday; it will need to be a Saturday thing.

Lot's of good places to eat in town...one of my favorites is Zanzibar Blue (http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/8946416/philadelphia_pa/zanzibar_blue.html). Great live jazz and very good food/wine/etc.

Tyler Howell
09-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Give Al a call:
http://www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/

Jeffrey Makiel
09-27-2006, 11:39 PM
If you walk east on Market Street (towards the Delaware River), you will enter into the historic district of Philly. The Liberty Bell is there and places to eat.

I would also recommend visiting the Reading Market that is near center city (Broad and Market). It was part of the old Reading Railroad Station which is now the Convention Center and an indoor market with many unusual food vendors (butchers, seafood, chocolate, bakery, etc.)

The Franklin Museum was mentioned. The last time I was in there was 25 years ago. It's mostly for kids as I remember it. It was not of the stature of the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Museum of Natural History. But, perhaps it has changed.

There is also Penns Landing where you can visit some old ships. I think the submarine is still there.

There is also a large aquarium on the other side of the river in Camden, NJ. You can take a water taxi to it so you don't have to experience the wonders of Camden itself.

South Street is also another place to walk around. I have not been there in a long time. There are plenty of cafes and eaterys. But I don't know if this area has changed.

cheers, Jeff :)

Calvin Hobbs
09-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Without a doubt...

PMA, PMA, PMA

I went through the furniture and period room collections 3 times a couple of years ago. Not to mention the Arms and Armor, and all the other stuff...

CH

Alan Turner
09-28-2006, 12:08 AM
The Art Museum has an excellent collection of American furniture, and on Sunday mornings may still be free.
Places to eat abound, mostly quite good.
Feel free to stop by PFW, although without a car, that will be a struggle. We have changed it quite a bit since Mario came on board full time.
Have a great time in an old and charming East Coast city.

Steve Evans
09-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Alan, I'd love to be able to drop by, unfortunately not this time. I do need to come down for something else before Christmas, maybe I'll take a look at your schedule and see if something coincides.

Steve

Tom Henry
09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Don't forget to get a cheese steak!!! The best philly cheese steak isn't in Philly!!! But you can get one on just about any corner.

Alan Turner
09-29-2006, 5:52 AM
Steve,
Philadelphia is a city of neighborhoods. Just South of Center City, where you will be staying, and within walking distance, is the 9th Street, or Italian, Market. It is about 1200 south, on 9th Street. It is open all week, Saturday, and on Sunday mornings. There are unique food shops, butcher shops, and street vendors of fruits and vegetables, complete with burn barrels in the winter. A store named the "Spice Corner" has many unique and well priced offerings. It supplies many restaurants.

Philadelphia was first built from the Delaware River, and then moving west. To the east is New Jersey, of course. So, the Olde City section of town was built in the Eigthteenth Century, but by the time you get to 18th Street (18 blocks from the Del. River), the buildings date from about 1850. So a short walk will allow you to note architectural changes pretty dramatically.
I will not enter into the cheesesteak debate except to recommend fried onions, and to note that Geno's, at 9th and Federal, has exceptionally fine rolls, and the meat at Jims, at 4th and South, is quite good.

Dave Richards
09-29-2006, 7:05 AM
There's the Independence Seaport Museum (http://www.phillyseaport.org/)on the river. You can take a look in the boat building shop and see the largest lathe you've probably seen. Take a tour through a submarine and a WWI cruise, Olympia from the bridge of which Commodore Dewey uttered the famous words, "You may fire when ready, Gridley."

Kent Fitzgerald
09-29-2006, 3:14 PM
The best philly cheese steak isn't in Philly!!!

So, if it ain't Jim's or Pat's, whadda youse think is da best?

Steve Evans
10-02-2006, 8:44 AM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It was a great weekend with the weather working out just fine for all the walking that we did. Just a bit of light rain late on Saturday. The Museum of Art is absolutely stunning, what a gorgeous building, and setting. I could have spent the whole weekend in there, but there was too much to see around town. The Reading market kept us occupied first thing on Saturday morining (found some great crab cakes). We probably walked around 16-20 miles in total over the two days, and observed one of the friendliest cities that I've been in, in a long time. On Saturday night we went to a concert at the Trocadero Theater (our reason for being in town in the first place). A great venue for concerts, very good view, and good aoustics, a very cool old building.
It would have been nice to have a couple more days, but unfortuantely work intrudes yet again.

Steve