PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade holder??

Bruce Volden
09-27-2006, 8:18 PM
I seemed to have acquired more table saw blades than what actually fit onto the TS at any given time! :) What I'm looking for is a TS blade "organizer" that I can mount near the TS on the wall and doesn't take up much room. I need it to hold 5+ blades. Nothing fancy, just practical. If someone remembers a thread for it, please point me there. Thanks in advance!!!!

Bruce

Steve Clardy
09-27-2006, 8:20 PM
I keep mine in a deep drawer, with 1/4 ply seperating them.

Jake Helmboldt
09-27-2006, 8:40 PM
I've been planning to build the style that is like a time-card holder; slightly angled slots in a vertical row made from scrap even. I'm trying to think of another way to describe it, but it is simply a couple strips of narrow stock for the sides, a plywood back and some plywood or hardboard dividers set at slight angles running down the length of it.

I'll try to find a picture if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

Jake

This is kind of like what I'm talking about, but think of it with an actual slot for the blade to sit in.
http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_389_1_1.gif

Vaughn McMillan
09-27-2006, 8:51 PM
Here's a quick sketch of one approach...

And the exploded view...

I used 3/4" and 1/4" material for the sketch, but just about any scrap would do.

Vaughn McMillan
09-27-2006, 9:17 PM
And the Jake's post made me think of this approach (before he edited the post to add his picture):

Jeffrey Makiel
09-27-2006, 10:23 PM
This one is about as simple as it gets. It's compact too.
-Jeff

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/TablesawExtension1.jpg

glenn bradley
09-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I did this and it worked great for a year or so. Holds 10 blades and some odd and ends. Quick and simple but I've outgrown it now so plan farther ahead than you think. I never thought I'd have more than 6 or 7 blades. Forgot to count the miter saw, cross cut saw, etc.

P.s. Dead CD's make great shims.

David Klug
09-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I did something very similar to what Glen posted except I mounted it on hinges. The the hinges are mounted on the side of the cabinet that my ROS sits on. When I want a blade I just swing it out and select the blade that I want. It works very slick. Just another idea.

DK

John Fry
09-28-2006, 2:15 AM
I also keep mine in a drawer with dividers and a carpeted bottom;

http://www.chiselandbit.com/cgi-script/CSUpload//upload/John_Fry_Photos%252edb/Blade%20store.JPG

scott spencer
09-28-2006, 5:25 AM
Mine's very similar to Glenn's. I just took a remnant of hardwood that was about 2"x2", made about a dozen diagonal crosscuts, ripped it down the middle, spread them about 5", and mounted them to a base.

Guy Germaine
09-28-2006, 6:49 AM
I used the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I hang mine from 16d finish nails. :rolleyes:

Bruce Volden
09-28-2006, 7:35 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I had mine hanging on dowels along the wall. Sometimes when I am in a hurry it can sound like wind chimes in there when blade changing!!!! I knew THAT weren't good. Again Thanks!!!

Bruce

Mack Cameron
09-28-2006, 8:15 AM
If you are looking for a plan, WOOD mag. Issue # 150, Sept. '03 has one on pge 10. This one will hold 10 blades, but could be made to suit your individual needs.

I don't have a scanner, best I can do is a hard copy if you are interested.

It looks like the one Glenn Bradley is showing.

Frank Fusco
09-28-2006, 10:52 AM
A nail in the wall.

Mack Cameron
09-28-2006, 11:03 AM
:) Couldn't be any simpler than that -- or could it? So Frank, how many holes in your wall?

Matt Day
09-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I wish this was the only worry I have about organizing my shop! Another vote for the nail in the wall. What's wrong with that?

glenn bradley
09-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I can't spare that much wall surface. I wouldn't want to crowd my clamps-clamps-clamps. ;-)

Larry Fox
09-28-2006, 12:35 PM
99.995% of the time I store my WWII on the saw. Other blades get stuffed back into their original containers and stuck in a drawer when not in use. My dado came with a nifty holder so I use it for that set of blades, then they go into the drawer with the others.

John Fry
09-28-2006, 2:49 PM
I wish this was the only worry I have about organizing my shop! Another vote for the nail in the wall. What's wrong with that?
Nothing I suppose, but I prefer to protect the fragile carbide teeth by keeping them seperated by dividers, and or, space. Do you store more than one blade on that nail?

Jon Shively
09-28-2006, 3:13 PM
Get Family Handyman magazine and it had a reader solution thing where a guy cut metal pie pans in half, put tape or slit a piece of tubing over the cut edge and nail to wall on pan edge. (clear as mud?) Saw blades fit in like a socket/pocket. Looked pretty nice. Saw a nice box for saw blades on DIY, look on their website.

Al Willits
09-28-2006, 4:04 PM
I built a roll around cabinet for my miter saw, it has storage cabinets and while I was trying to decide what to put in them, I put my saw blades, in their wrapper in one side, I think they'll stay there...:)

Al

Art Mulder
09-28-2006, 4:28 PM
I have a simple drawer unit that I built for storing saw blades. Found the idea in a magazine about 10 years ago, if I recall correctly.

Just make a plywood box, but run 1/8" saw kerfs in the sides every 1-2" up the side. Then lay the blades on pieces of 1/8" hardboard that slide in the kerfs as "drawers". Tack a small piece of wood on the front of each "drawer" to close up the front and voila.

The advantage of this is that each blade is kept separate, no dinging into other blades to damage the teeth, or scrape your hands. Glue a small dowel piece in the middle of each drawer to keep the blade from sliding around.

Guy Germaine
09-28-2006, 4:57 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I had mine hanging on dowels along the wall. Sometimes when I am in a hurry it can sound like wind chimes in there when blade changing!!!! I knew THAT weren't good. Again Thanks!!!

Bruce

I suggest not eating so many burritos! :eek: