PDA

View Full Version : DW616 vibration/noise on spin down?

Mark Rios
09-27-2006, 4:17 PM
WHEW!!!....have I been busy. I'm finally able to see some daylight. I'm finishing up a couple of odds and ends for a couple of projects before starting a complete kitchen remodel.

On one of these odds and ends allowed me to finally get to use the reman DW616 that I bought a few weeks back (from Tyler Tools). After finishing the first pass I turned it off and let the router hang down in my hand while it spun down. I noticed at two separate times (speed ranges) during the spin down that there was a noticeable change in pitch and a small vibration. These each lasted approximately 1 to 1 1/2 seconds. It continues to do this every time I turn it off. I was using a 1/4" roundover bit. I only ran it for about 12 feet in a total of 4 passes. There is no noticeable/abnormal noise or vibration while it is in use that I can tell. I can't feel any movement iin any direction while moving the arbor by hand.

Is this anything that I should be concerned about? Is this maybe just some sort of bearing noise/vibration that is normal or to be expected or is this something that I should call Tyler Tools about?

Thanks very much for your advice and opinions.

glenn bradley
09-27-2006, 4:34 PM
Does it happen with no bit in the collet? Remember to tighten down the nut after you take the bit out and before you test.

John Hemenway
09-27-2006, 4:39 PM
Or try another bit. Perhaps your RO bit is a bit unbalanced! :)

Mark Rios
09-27-2006, 5:59 PM
Sorry, I forgot to include that part.

Yes, I tried it with two other bits, another (Oldham, I think. It's yellow) 1/4" RO and a Freud 3/8 RO, as well as running it with no collet at all. Same thing each and every time.

pat warner
09-27-2006, 6:16 PM
"Same thing each and every time."

With that statement, you've narrowed it to the armature bearings, typical of a well used tool.
I have a lot of routers, the only ones that do that are the old & tired. I would still expect a couple more hundred hours, but it will need bearings soon if your primary kitchen router is this one.
Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Mark Rios
09-27-2006, 8:03 PM
"Same thing each and every time."

With that statement, you've narrowed it to the armature bearings, typical of a well used tool.
I have a lot of routers, the only ones that do that are the old & tired. I would still expect a couple more hundred hours, but it will need bearings soon if your primary kitchen router is this one.
Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Thanks very much Pat. That's the kind of experience that I needed. As I mentioned, this is a brand new "Reman" from Tyler Tools. I guess I'll be calling them up and asking for a replacement.

Thanks again very much to all.